Wednesday, October 10, 2012

31 Days - Sometimes I'm surprised...

The title of this post says, "Sometimes I'm surprised," but honestly I'll have to say often times I don't see what's coming. That's the case with this post, it wasn't one I predicted when the month began, but it's the one my eyes were open to last night.

Perhaps it will surprise you too, but my prayer is that it will encourage you and maybe even open your eyes to a surprise of your own. This wasn't a sighting of God I was looking for...you know like you might do when you take a walk on a beautiful fall day or watch the sunset on the horizon. But still I trust it was the answer to my daily prayer, "Lord help me see you!"

Last night our new Bible study began, a study of Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst, a study I am leading. Maybe I should stop here...the fact that I'm leading a Bible study should be evidence of the presence and power of God.

Chances are though that you don't know me as well as I know myself...you see 13 years ago, I hadn't given my life to Christ so the thought of even attending a Bible study was crazy. Fast forward 3 years and I was a young mom, who finally accepted an invitation to a MOPS meeting, but even a year into it I rarely shared more than my name and the ages of my children.

Over the last few years, I've taken steps out of my comfort zone...became the coordinator of a new MOPS group in our church, facilitated a few Bible studies and helped organize 3 women's retreats.

These facts alone allow me to see God...the power He's used to change me, work in and thru me is amazing and could only be Him. But last night I was reminded that He's still at work and if I keep looking and allowing Him to melt and mold me, He will.

As our study came to a close, He really put on my heart that I wasn't simply facilitating this study. You see that's been my role of choice...kind of my easy, safe way to step into leadership. I could handle the crowd control and found myself willing to ask the questions, so I didn't have to answer them. Honestly at times that's what we need to do, but last night as I was looking for God, I heard Him.

He'd been impressing on my heart that I was leading this study and He'd given me a group I was responsible for and then as one of our gals closed our evening in prayer He provided confirmation. She prayed for me and asked God to strengthen and bless me as I taught this study.

Friend, I saw God. Again I was surprised, but it was good and needed. I want to encourage you today to look back over your life, look for His hand. Where has He brought you from? As I reflect on the power He's displayed in my life, I trust that I will see Him again and I believe He can do what comes next. I hope and pray you can say the same!!

I want to close with the reminder that really this month what I'm looking for is to see Him high and lifted up; friend as we allow Him to do what we never could that will happen!!

Now to him who is able  to do immeasurably more 
than all we ask or imagine, 
according to his power that is at work within us,   
to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus 
throughout all generations, for ever and ever! 
Ephesians 3:20-21

I'd love to hear your story and I encourage you to share it for His glory!!

Just a reminder - I'm giving away a copy of my book, Letters from Leanne - The Beauty of a Spiritual Mother-Daughter Relationship. Truly I never expected to write a book, but God was part of it and did it. So today, share a sighting of God...perhaps one that surprised you. Leave a comment on the posts throughout the week to increase your chances. I'll share the winner on Saturday!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love your encouragement that He is STILL working. With all of the amazing work He has already done in my life, He is ever willing to do MORE! Wow.

Praying for you and your ladies as you go through Lysa's study. Trusting the Lord to speak and move powerfully as you all place your trust and hope in Him.

And thanks for sharing Eph.3:20-21. A verse I know, but was forgetting to cling to as I get ready to speak tonight to our youth girls at church. Trusting Him to do through me more than I would even dare to ask Him to do!

Love you!
K

Anonymous said...

Thank you for encouraging us to look, really look for God each day. Blessings!

Jill Beran said...

Thanks for stopping by! Your comment brought me to words I need to read again. Love how God works! Pray you see HIM in big ways today! Go Hawks!