Wednesday, October 3, 2012

31 Days of Seeing God - In the Harvest

This morning my husband and I were talking about the harvest...with the drought in Iowa we weren't sure what to expect. He was sharing with me about the beans...some of them weren't over a foot tall, but still the field yielded just about as much as it did last year. He said, "I don't know where they are coming from."

Minutes prior to this conversation I'd done the very thing I wrote about yesterday...I asked God to help me see Him and He did. My husband made that statement but we both know where the beans are coming from...they are coming from the One who created the earth, the One who gives us every breath we take. The One who works in ways we often don't understand.

As I saw God in our harvest, two passages came to mind -

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow.  So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. (1 Corinthians 3:5-7)

These words apply to our farm - we planted the seed, tilled the soil, picked the rock and pulled the weeds, but God did the growing. Friend, the same is true as we plant seeds of faith. You may feel like you are in a season of drought as you attempt to share Jesus with others, but trust me God is the One in control of the growth that will occur. And even when it seems there will be no fruit to harvest, He can do it...believe me, we are seeing that happen in our fields and I have no doubt the same is taking place in God's spiritual ones!

The other scripture that came to mind was Luke 10:1-3, "After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves."

Harvest time is busy on the farm...it's not unusual for my husband to eat 2 of his 3 meals in the combine. Regardless of the conditions, harvesting the crop requires work...physically and spiritually. Friend, He has work for you and me to do...let us set our plans aside and allow Him to send us where He needs us! Perhaps that's across the ocean, maybe it's out in the field, but chances are it's in your backyard. So go now and remember as you do, look for Him...He will make the seeds grow!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Reading of His goodness and His faithfulness here this morning, it has made me teary.

Love what you are sharing, Jill. Love it.

Looking and listening,
K :)