Thursday, October 11, 2012

31 Days - God is Love

Last night we attended parent's night at AWANA's and I saw God. His presence was obvious and I pray His spirit was at work!

God is Love - this point is made twice in 1 John 4. Verse 8 tells us, "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." And verse 16 states, "And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them."

As I watched leaders interact with my children and the other 70+ kids in the building, it was clear God was working thru these individuals. Whether it was a gentle touch, an encouraging word or heartfelt prayer God was there. 

It wasn't just the things they did or said, but the heart they did them with...these leaders, men and women who'd had a busy day, maybe even a bad day, were patient and joyful, understanding and loving. Even when some of the little people were distracted, unprepared or misbehaved.

I watched the evening unfold and was reminded that sometimes I'm like the little AWANA students - I lose focus, sometimes I put off what I need to do and there are moments I don't live or think like a follower of Christ should.

But God...He is a leader who loves. He's gentle and patient. He wraps His loving arms around me. He understands I too am a child, one prone to mess up, but He loves me anyway. And friend the same is true for you!!

The AWANA leaders mission is to fill the young people under their care with the Word and though I'm an adult, God desires the same for me. He wants me to saturate myself with the Truth. 

During counsel time, the AWANA leader shared how God's Word is like a compass, it gives us direction and points us to God. And I'd have to add it tells me of His promises, one that reminds me I am LOVED.

So thankful I saw my loving God last night and I pray you not only see Him today, but feel His loving touch as well!!

This post is part of my 31 Days of Seeing God series...you can find all the posts HERE.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

:) The devotion my girls and I read this morning was on how He is a gentle leader. I love when He speaks the same thing in several places. I must need to stop and really think on the love and gentleness of His leadership in my life. I also know I need Him to help me lead more like Him in my own home!

Blessings, sweet Jill!