Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hope vs Doubt

Hope - a wonderful concept that keeps us pressing on and moving ahead. Doubt - a dreadful concept that knocks me down and beats me up.



The Bible tells us our hope is in Christ, true; but satan is constantly planting seeds of doubt to change my focus that in turn quenches my hope.



We can't have hope when we allow doubt to enter in and when we're full of doubt, hope is not present.



When we focus on Christ our doubts don't seem so important. We remember I can do all things thru Christ or with God all things are possible. Those thoughts alone offer hope!!



So why is it when I know these things and trust in the promises God provides, I still doubt. Why? Because I'm human and give in to the thoughts in my mind. The I can'ts, the worries of other's opinions, the I'm not good enoughs... They all produce doubt...


"Doubt"
It knocks me down
and beats me up.
It makes me question
and sometimes quit.
It causes me to worry
and even wollow.
It robs me of joy
and leaves me empty.
It prevents me from sharing my faith
and truly loving my neighbor.
It causes me to compare
and think I'll never measure up.
It fills me with regrets
and plenty of "what if's."
It leaves me discouraged
and sometimes even depressed.
It is one of satan's weapons
and one, only GOD can combat.
It reminds me I can't,
but I trust God will.

Doubt - it's not a pretty thing, but when I recognize it and call it what it is, I'm reminded of my need for God and His power in my life. Even when I can't, He can!


Remember we can't have Hope and doubt, so the next time lies and doubts fill my mind I must do what Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope and Doubt. One is great, the other steals the greatness. Why, oh why, do we allow doubt into our lives?

I loved your poem! Great post!

Prayers and blessings,
Rebecca