Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Who am I?" - A Servant

Nearly a year ago, for a reason I no longer remember we were talking about servants and our son asked, "What's a servant." I replied, "Someone who does work for you, they might wash your clothes or make your meals." He listened and quickly responded, "Kind of like a Mom."

My husband immediately stepped in and said, "Your mom is not your servant." I know what Job meant and I'm grateful for his concern, but lately as I've been thinking about the question, "Who am I?" this is an answer God has given.

His message was loud and clear a week ago when nearly everyone in our house took a turn with the stomach flu. By definition a servant is one who performs domestic duties and that week some of those duties, namely cleaning and laundry multiplied. I was serving my family and if you're a Mom, you know that's not just something we do when kids are sick.

Let's take this a step further though and think about what it means to serve biblically. 1 Peter 4:9-11a has this to say, "Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ."

God calls us to serve others and will give us the strength to do just that! He also has given us an example...remember how Jesus washed the feet of the disciples?? (John 13) Jesus himself had this to say, "Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." (vs. 14-15)

Servant may not be a job we dreamt of when we were little or one we always enjoy when we're older, but as a child of God it is one He has given to us! And when we do what He has asked we will be blessed!!

J.D. was right - a servant is kind of like a Mom, but more than that a follower of Christ is interchangeable a servant for Christ. How will you serve today??

1 comment:

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Jill,

I think your little guy saw your servant's heart. He saw your example of serving and for him, it all made perfect sense, bless his heart!

Yes, we are all called to serve, in various ways, according to the giftings within us. But mostly, as you said, we're called to be like Christ--the ultimate servant.

Hugs to you, sweet Jill!