Monday, October 17, 2011

Day 17 - "Who am I?" - One with roots

Roots, what are they? Do you have them?? Better yet do you need them??

Well, let's start at the beginning, according to Webster root means - "the part of a plant, usually below the ground, that lacks nodes, shoots, and leaves, holds the plant in position, draws water and nourishment from the soil, and stores food." Other definitions I read included these words - basic, essential, core and base.

Now onto question 2, anyone who's taken high school biology understands plants need roots, but how does this apply to us as people? As my son said, "It would be kind of hard to get very far with roots coming out of our feet!" But we'll move from the literal conversation and focus on all things spiritual and let me ask you again, "Do you have roots??" Is there something that holds you in position, draws nourishment and feeds you?

Is this something we need?? Yes, yes, yes!! Tonight I just heard Ann Noonan say, "Most of us don't know who we are. We need to get back to our root system. We can do a lot of pruning - change things on the outside, but we need to dig deep in order to get to the root."

There's a lot to her words, but what really hits me is our identity is found in our roots! This makes sense in the plant world, so it's no surprise that it does the same spiritually as well!!

So what are your roots? Where are you planted? How is this connected with who you are? Do you spend more time pruning than you do nourishing and caring for your roots?

As I seek God's answer to my question, one response I've found is, "They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor." (Is. 61:3) I'm far from an expert, but I do know oak trees are tall and strong, which can mean only one thing - their roots go deep!

"Lord, please help me pay attention to my roots. May they always be planted in you. Remind me to nourish them and help them grow by spending time with You. As my roots grow, teach me. Lord, teach me who I am. Make me strong, like the oak tree. Help me stand tall."

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I thought about you this weekend. I was watching my Katie play. And she was doing the monkey bars. Her arms carried her from bar to bar with great ease. And I was impressed. I never had much arm strength as a child. As much as she looks like me and acts like me, I thought about how she is stronger than I was physically.

And then I thought of how I want that for her spiritually. She has an advantage right now...she is getting to start setting her roots in Him in a way I just did not at her age. And I thought of how you are helping your kids put down roots, as well. :) May they learn EARLY where there identity rests...in HIM.

And may you and I continue to put our own roots down ever deeper.
Love you.
K :)