Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Who am I?" Looking in the mirror...

Jesse, our 3 month old, has discovered a new favorite thing to do - he loves to look in the mirror! He sees himself and smiles, then shakes with excitement followed by giggles that make me smile. The routine is one we've all come to enjoy!!

This morning though as I held him in front of the mirror I was convicted. You see mirrors have never been my friend, actually I've worked pretty hard to avoid them. Even today (as I tried to ignore the thoughts of conviction) I couldn't help but realize I was intentionally keeping my eyes from seeing the face they were a part of.

Instead I kept watching my little man and found great joy in how he interacted with the face that smiled back at him. He loved the little guy who looked just like him, this face made him smile. He was pleased with what he saw. As a Mom this was fun to see.

Then as I called for my husband to "come and watch this" I was struck that it's what a father likes to see as well. Friends, I'm not just talking about Jesse's dad; no, I truly believe it's what our Heavenly Father wants to see too.

He created me, He created you and He created us in His image. So let me ask you a question, "When you look in the mirror what do you see? How do you respond? Or like me is it something you don't even do?"

Ladies, Psalm 45:11 tells us, "Let the king be enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord." If He is enthralled by our beauty that must mean He thinks we are beautiful. I'm sure somebody is thinking, "Yeah, but you haven't seen what I see in the mirror."

You're right, but I know what I've seen in the mirror and I have plenty of words to describe the picture, but beautiful has never been one of them. Like I said, I was feeling convicted this morning and there was a reason. So let me share a few more thoughts -

Psalm 139:14 says, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." I have read and heard this verse numerous times, perhaps you have too, but today I thought about it a bit more.

The first three words really made me think. "I praise you" - what does that look like? It can look like a lot of things, but I know it doesn't look like avoiding looking at what He's created or shuddering when I do.

I'd have to say praising Him looks a bit more like what I see as I watch my son look in the mirror. I don't think you'll sneak up to find me smiling or giggling as I stand in front of the mirror, but you will find something new.

Tonight I'll be posting some truths on the mirrors that have always told me lies and praying that God will forever remind me of the joy I feel as I watch my little man smile at himself. May we all remember our Father does the same when it's His child looking in the mirror!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Sometimes i find myself looking in the mirror and all i do is criticize what i see. I know that God made me and that i He thinks i'm beautiful, but sometimes, in today's society especially, if a girl/woman does not have the "perfect body, face, ect.." then they're ugly:( This reassurance that i am fearfully and wonderfully made in His image is a GREAT reminder!!!