Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Who am I?" - A Disciple

Today in church I was given a new answer to our question...when I ask, "Who am I?" God wants my life to give the answer disciple. Think about this for a minute, when I think of the word "disciple" my mind instantly goes to the 12. Those who Jesus sought and called, spent time with, taught and prayed for, but today our pastor dug into this word a bit more.

Tonight I want to do the same, so let's begin with the definition - Webster had this to say, "one who accepts and assists in spreading the doctrines of another. According to Word IQ, disciple comes from the Latin word that means pupil. They go on to define our answer with this, "one who receives instruction from another; a scholar; a learner; especially, a follower who has learned to believe in the truth of the doctrine of his teacher."

So what do you think? Are you a disciple? Like our pastor said living as a disciple is more than going to church on Sunday. A disciple is a follower, one who sits at Jesus feet and listens to what He has to say. But this individual doesn't stop with hearing, a disciple lives what they have learned and then share what they believe.

Is that who you are?? I can ask you that question, but I believe it's more important for us to turn to God and ask Him to tell us who we are and as we listen we will hear Him say, "You are my disciple!!"

Now as you think about this role, take a minute and listen to what Jesus has to say to His disciples (that would be you and me) - "Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matt. 28:16-20

Friend, this isn't a role to take lightly...as He defines us, He is calling us.

No comments: