Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My Problem, HIS Solution

It is once again time to take a look at Lysa TerKeurst's book, "What Happens when Women Walk in Faith." Lelia at Write from the Heart is hosting the study, so stop by to see everyone's thoughts on chapters 10 and 11.

As Lysa described a difficult situation in her own life, some of my own struggles came to mind. The solution she shared reminded me where I needed to look for the answers to my own problems. The problems are mine, but the solution needs to be His!!

During trying times it can be easy to think things would get better if the other person would do this or stop acting like this, but as Lysa said her solution came when "God moved in me." We have no control over what anyone else can say, do or think, but we have the ability to submit our own control to God and when He works good things will happen.

These solutions don't always turn out the way I expect them too and sometimes take longer than I like them too, but when I'm obedient He will solve the problem. That doesn't always mean it will go away, but my attitude about it will change.

This all sounds nice on paper, but it isn't always easy, it can be a real challenge to let go and trust God with things that cause me so much pain and/or frustration. At times I'm tempted to fix it myself, but as Lysa says, "we must continue to grow and embrace God's plans for the life we've been given."

That is a constant process especially as some problems become bigger before I even see God's hand at work, but as I reflect on my life I know His solution has always been the best. That's the truth I must hold onto as life continues to unfold - He has carried me thus far and will continue to do so.

I think Lysa described this philosophy real well when she said, "Take your eyes off the problem and focus on the good and loving God who has great plans for you." It's easy to get caught up in the emotions, feelings and worries that life creates, but we must keep our eyes on Him.

As I walk this road of faith I know the storms will come and at times I will veer off the path, but I can't allow setbacks to affect my vision. I must constantly "keep looking up" and as our Pastor says, put the blinders on. Focus on God and God alone. As I do that I can't let worries about other's opinions keep me down instead I must live to honor God and not man.

Even during those moments when I appear to have everything in focus, things can still go wrong. It seems when I'm most intent on following God's will that something will happen or be said that causes me to hesitate or put the focus back on me. These losses create pain and the comments can hurt, but they still have a purpose.

This past spring, I heard Anne Graham Lotz say, "Jesus took the nails for me, now I need to take some for Him." Though I'm misunderstood at times because of my faith, that pain cannot compare to what Jesus did for me. So why am I so hesitant to do that very thing? Lysa reminds us of Romans, "we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." What better thing to do!!!

So as my walk of faith continues I'm reminded that though the problems our mine, the solution must be His!! Often times He reveals this solution in His word and as Lysa says we must constantly be "taking it in, allowing it to work within you, and then using what you have learned to benefit others and to further God's kingdom."

That is a solution I would love to live out in my life and I'm grateful to know that "we are equipped with everything we need to do His will."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Jill:

What wonderful insights. I am really enjoying doing this study with all the other ladies. I'm learning so much and reaffirming that we are all on this road together, struggling in much the same way. But at least we are on the journey!

You ended with "we are equipped with everything we need to do His will." That too is the closing quote I chose. Yet another thing I need to write on my heart and remind myself of daily.

Let's keep walking in faith together and see where we wind up! I am certain it will be more splendid than we could ever have imagined!

Laura said...

I loved this: "The problems are mine, but the solution needs to be His!!" Amen, sister! You are so right when you say it isn't always easy, though. Let's keep our eyes fixed on the One who is the author of our lives!

Leaon Mary said...

Hi. I loved the little tidbits you shared, like your pastor saying to keep your blinders on... just LOOK UP.
I feel like that even in church,... I'd rather sit at the front than the back so I don't have to see everything around me and have that for distraction as well.
Loved reading your thoughts,
Lea

amy & lisa said...

This....
"It's easy to get caught up in the emotions, feelings and worries that life creates, but we must keep our eyes on Him."
says so much!
I struggle with that so much. Life hands so many discouragements and know that I need to remember who to focus on.
Thank you for sharing.
Lisa

Laurie Ann said...

Wonderful truths in your post! I'm sorry I'm just getting around to commenting; I just posted mine last night. I loved that you wrote: The problems are mine, but the solution needs to be His!!

How true! I feel the same way.

Awesome post!