Thursday, April 2, 2009

No Fear

I have begun reading Micca Campbell's book, An Untroubled Heart. Two chapters in I'm looking forward to what lies ahead. Fear, whether we want to admit it or not, is something we all live with, deal with and struggle with.

Chapter 2 is titled, Fear Factor, which probably sounds familiar, but Micca's words have nothing to do with the TV show. Instead as I read, I thought of a popular brand of t-shirts back in the day - No Fear!! As an avid athlete and sports fan, I enjoyed their message, but I rarely lived it.

Now Micca isn't encouraging us to live with reckless abandon, but she does remind us of God's words, "Fear not!!" And as she says that actually appears in the Bible 366 times! Do you think He's trying to make a point?!?!

God calls us to do things that require no fear. I am in the midst of a few of those experiences right now - writing a book that shares my life story, one that puts a quiet, shy girl out there for the world to see. Scary? Yes!! And as many of you know, I'm also working to help organize a women's conference that will bring Renee Swope to Iowa. Beyond me? Yes!! Then there's the role of mom and the fear of what if I mess up? Possible? Yes! Probable? Even more so.

But does God want me to be fearful of these and every other situation? No! He calls me to move past my fears and trust in Him! The only fear I need is fear of God and then He will help me overcome all the fears Satan creates to bring me down. Because like Micca said, that is what he will do. He deceives because it's a given if we live in fear, we will never do and be all God created us for.

I loved how Micca put it, "Sadly, most people stay in the safety of the boat their entire lives and wonder why life seems so empty, miserable, and dull. Those who live with anxiety are living below the mark of what they were created to be." That's not where I want to be!

So again using her words, I'll remind myself and all of us what we need to do - "Relying on our faith allows us to live fearlessly."

I just might go find that old "No Fear" shirt! The slogan holds a hole new message today!!

6 comments:

Yolanda said...

Good morning! Don't you love getting out of the boat? NOT, excpet for the fact that we serve a BIG GOD with BIG IDEAS! And then stepping out to see just what He has in store, while DOING IT AFRAID, gets exciting and honestly gets me pumped!

Blessings,
Yolanda

Tammy said...

I'm enjoying and fearing this journey right along with ya!

God has called me out of my comfort zone a few times but that's where I've learned to trust Him.I liked to say it gets easier,but it doesn't. If it did,then we wouldn't need God.

In His Grace,
Tammy

Lelia Chealey said...

Yes..no fear Jill! NO fear about October, only rising and shining for His glory!! ;)
love ya,
LC

Carol said...

Hi Jill,

Wow you really are stepping out of the boat. But you are right God is right there with you.

I like what you said here:But does God want me to be fearful of these and every other situation? No! He calls me to move past my fears and trust in Him! The only fear I need is fear of God and then He will help me overcome all the fears Satan creates to bring me down.

Thanks for the insights.

Carol

Stacy said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You DO have a lot going on right now that must be outside of your comfort zone. Love the "NO FEAR!" Tshirt.

Enjoyed reading your post and praying for you and all of your upcoming endeavors.

Stacy

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I think fear is my number one problem at this point in my life. I SO much want to be able to have more trust....more faith....more "perfect love"....I know that God's Word says that perfect loves casts out fear!

Just taking it one day at a time!

Marilyn