Friday, October 10, 2008

The Pluto Project

A recent project God has given me has reminded me of my son's Pluto Project. J.D. my kindergarten son takes part in a homeschool choir every Thursday and this year they are using a space theme. He is thrilled and I have learned more about planets than I did during my time as a student and teacher. Two weeks ago, he was assigned his first real project.

Pluto was the planet he was given and the assignment was to make a model and find some interesting facts to share. He has a month to prepare this, but as we headed into the house he was on a mission. His mind was consumed with Pluto! He wanted to paint a ball, read books, go to the library, on and on. Nothing else in life seemed to matter! His reading lesson seemed meaningless, chores were of no interest, and he was so excited he didn't even want to eat.

As his mom I had to help him put things in perspective and prioritize the things he needed to do. Now today I feel the need to do the same for myself. I recently received the submission guidelines for my book and honestly was a bit surprised with all I need to do. But rather than work, this all seems exciting. Kind of like J.D. felt about Pluto!

But just like I shared with him, I know there's more I need to do than this book. I have a family to care for, a house to clean, meals to make, a child to teach, a husband to love, a Bible to study and as you all know the list goes on and on and on.

So my question is how do we establish those boundaries and focus our mind on the priorities? I know it all begins with prayer, but any practical applications you'd like to share?

2 comments:

Heaven said...

When you find out this answer, can you pass on your wisdom? :) All I know is that when our focus remains on God, everything else falls into place eventually.

Practical??? I'm one who tends to get ahead of God, so the only practical I have is moment by moment asking God for direction.

Blessings!

Laurel Kornfeld said...

Creativity needs no boundaries. I, like your son, am totally consumed with Pluto, a fascinating world; however, my Pluto "thing" has been going on for two years! Be happy your son is interested in something academic, that both makes him think and makes him happy at the same time. Pluto is amazing, and it is SO a planet. I hope he keeps up the enthusiasm right through 2015, when New Horizons gets to Pluto.