Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Life is Full of Choices

Welcome to my new friends from Encouragement Cafe! It's a joy to share some words there today! If you'd like to read my devotional, click HERE.

This week at the Cafe they are talking all about putting others before ourselves and if you're like me, I'd guess you'd say that can be a struggle. If you're honest, I know you'd say it's been a place of failure at least once. The truth is we're all sinners and selfishness is a sin. So what do we do with that? How do we put others before ourselves?

I shared some thoughts in my devotional, but I've thought even more as I've attempted to write this post. The thing is, daily we have countless choices to make and numerous people to serve, how do we consistently make the right choice and live selflessly?

This is a question we may struggle with forever, but I believe the answer begins in Luke 10:41-42. It reads - “Martha, Martha,“ the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed - or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Simply making the decision to put others before myself is not enough. Why? I don't know if you ever tried this, but it doesn't work. Granted it may for a day or two, or better yet an hour or two, but eventually our strength runs out and desire fades away...simply said our flesh wins and selfishness can take over.

But if we make the same choice Mary made the outcome can be different. Think about what she CHOSE to do...spend time with her Lord, the One who would save her. This is a choice that will impact every decision we face.

The other morning as I prayed about what to share in this post God took me to Matthew 6:33, "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." These words lined up with what He'd whispered earlier...putting others first begins with seeking Him. If I'm not putting God first, there's no way I'll ever put myself second.


You and I must go to Him so that He can fill us with His Spirit, power, strength, peace and perspective. He will fill us with ALL we need. The more we seek Him, the better we'll know Him which will help us make the choice that best glorifies Him!! 

Today I pray we'll all take some time and choose what Mary did...time spent with our Lord and Savior will equip us to make the best decisions in this life that is filled with choices!!

Kari Jobe has a song that speaks to this..."The More I Seek You"! Friends the more we seek Him, the more we love Him and the more we love Him the more we'll love the people He puts in our lives! 


No comments: