Monday, October 21, 2013

A lesson from "Hide and Seek"


"Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him while He is near." 
Isaiah 55:6

Hide and seek is one of my kid's favorite games, especially on rainy days or right before bed. They enjoy finding the best hiding spot and the thrill of finding the one who's hid. The other day as they played this game, I thought about it a bit more.

Awhile back, I shared a story with a friend about someone, let's call him "Bob", who was spiritually hungry and sincerely seeking God. My friend then wrote back, "I love when people are seeking because God will show up big!" I read her words and they went to my heart. 

I was excited for "Bob", rightfully so, but through my friend's words God reminded me that I should be equally as excited for myself. Friends, it's not just new believers who God will show up big for. With that reminder, I was also challenged. I thought about "Bob" and the questions he asked, the desire he possessed and persistence he portrayed. I hate to admit, but now that I've found God, I don't always look for Him with the same zeal as "Bob". 

So back to my little people playing hide and seek...they were playing, but I was learning. God had something to teach me about seeking. Joy didn't stop looking when she spotted J.D.'s foot behind the couch; actually catching a glimpse excited her more! I watched this unfold and realized the same should be true as I seek God. 

I've had a glimpse of Him, His love, power and strength and now my prayer is that every glimpse will make me more determined to see more and more. I believe God will show up BIG for "Bob", but friend I also believe God wants to show up BIG for you and me! The question is: Are we willing to look for Him?

This is where God showed me a difference between my seeking in a spiritual sense and what my kids did while playing a game. They were looking for someone who had intentionally hid, while I'm looking for the ever present God, the One who's always here. Friends, He's there, we just have to look for Him.

So let me ask you: When it comes to seeking God are you more like my 4 year old Jed? One who's always excited and can't get enough of something he thinks is fun. Perhaps you can relate to my 10 year old J.D.? The game is fun for awhile, but then he's onto something more exciting. Or maybe you can relate to me, the mom - the one who's been there, done that and can think "Do I have to do this again? Because there are so many others things I need to do!!"

Oh how I long to seek Him always! And I'm praying He gives you the desire to do the same! Over the last few weeks God has led me on a journey to understand what seeking Him is all about; He's shown me much! I'd love to share a bit with you, but rather than my words, lets take a look at His!

God's Word tells us -
But from there you will seek the Lord your God and you will find Him, if you search after Him with all your heart and with all your soul. Deutoronomy 4:29

I love those who love Me, and those who seek Me diligently find Me. Proverbs 8:17

Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile. Jeremiah 29:12-14

The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. Lamentations 3:25

Seek the Lord and His strength; Seek His face continually. 1 Chronicles 16:11

Friends, if we seek Him...He'll let us find Him! Another way to look at the word is this: SEE KING - when we are seeking we will see the King!!

Finally, in my study this verse has challenged me in BIG ways - God is looking for those who seek Him, are you one He will find?!?

The Lord looks down from heaven
    on all mankind
to see if there are any who understand,
    any who seek God.
All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
    not even one. 
Psalm 14:2-3

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear them!!

5 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

You always come up with great analogies to make God's Word more understandable and alive!! Thanks for this great lesson today. I definitely think that I am one who does not always excitedly seek Him in the every day. I seek Him when I am intentionally looking.

Blessings,

Wendy

Kimberly said...

This is a great analogy, Jill! I especially love the differences in how each of you participate in the "seeking." I confess...I know what it is like to be the "been there, done that" seeker...in the game and in my walk with the Lord. But He has been moving in my heart this year about seeking Him more and more, reminding me that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him, with Hebrews 11:6 being a passage that continues to come to mind. What JOY there is when we do find Him, when we see new things in His Word, when we hear Him speaking to us tenderly and personally, when He blows our minds with the connections He makes.

Love you, friend! You and your heart for Him!
K :)

Jill Beran said...

Wendy, I'm thankful you always come up with such powerful teachings and words of encouragement!! Thanks for sharing your struggle as well! Blessings to you!!

Jill Beran said...

God has been moving in a similar way in my heart as well!! So thankful for this journey with Him that never ends!! Just yesterday our pastor said something about the closer we walk with Christ the more He will work in us...seeing the truth of that in my life!! Love you and your big heart too!!

Joyful said...

Jill, I LOVED this! Found it when I saw your comment on Leah's blog! Oh how I pray I will have the continual excitement of a seeker. May just a "glimpse" cause me to long for more. I think of the anticipation I feel every morning...the longing to "see Him" in His Word...it's what prompts me to get out of bed at 5:45am every morning...I'm going to seek His Word and what He has to say to me each day. I think of that verse in Romans 12:11, "Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord."

Such a great encouragement. Thank you so much my friend.
Blessings to you and yours,
Joy
PS. I also wrote a blog post on "Hide and Seek". It can be found here: http://ponderinginhispresence.blogspot.ca/2009/04/olly-olly-oxen-free.html