Monday, October 28, 2013

I'm glad you didn't quit!

The title of this post comes from words my husband spoke to me. I had just finished a task I really didn't want to do and one that took effort to complete. It was one I could have just left undone, something I considered, but didn't do. Anyway when it was all over, my husband looked at me and simply said, "I'm glad you didn't quit."

His words struck me because they came shortly after I had posted an entry titled, "Just Quit". My focus then was to quit listening to lies, worrying, striving to please people and a list of other things. There are so many things I need to quit doing, and maybe you do too, but as I listened to my husband I was remind there are just as many that I don't need to quit. Oh but how often I confuse the two!

So this simple statement and big truth got me thinking...what are the things I shouldn't quit? I can't quit doing the daily tasks that can get mundane like changing diapers, washing dishes, sweeping the floor, making meals and on and on. I can't quit disciplining my children, loving them, reading to them, spending time with them. I can't quit on my marriage and I can't quit on God. 

Friends will you think about this with me? Have you been tempted to quit on God? Have you quit on Him? Even when life is hard, with situations that make no sense and when relationships fall apart we can't quit seeking Him, trusting Him or obeying Him. 

I know this is hard, God often leads us out of our comfort zone and His plan rarely matches ours, but we must remember His ways are perfect and His plan is for good. Friend, you don't need my words to encourage you, but I trust God's will -

"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you." Philippians 3:12-15

"We have troubles all around us, but we are not defeated. We do not know what to do, but we do not give up the hope of living. We are persecuted, but God does not leave us. We are hurt sometimes, but we are not destroyed." 2 Corinthians 4:8-9

"So do not throw away your confidence, it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised." Hebrews 10:35-36

So today when you are tempted to quit or God shows you that you already have, go to Him, remember what His word says and press on. Keep the faith and fight the good fight! (1 Timothy 6:12) I have to admit I appreciated my husband's words, but as I've thought about this I've been reminded someday God could share similar ones with me! Friend let's live in a way that we will hear Him!!

Today will you join me in trying to quit doing the things we shouldn't do and press on in the areas God calls us to! I believe if we do this we will one day hear Jesus' words from Matthew 25:21 - "Well done, good and faithful servant!"

6 comments:

Rachel Beran said...

Good words, Jill! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

"...For the good that I wish I do not do; but practice the very evil that I do not wish...Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! ...There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

Jill Beran said...

Pray they spoke to you my friend!!

Jill Beran said...

Thanks for stopping by! Appreciate these words from Romans!! Blessings!

Unknown said...

This is so good, Jill! I have found I have the bad habit of wanting to quit anything that gets too hard. Even this month - the writing every day? There have been days it has been a struggle to sit down and write. And quitting seemed so very tempting. But now, with three days left, I am so thankful He has helped me to NOT quit. One thing I DO need to quit, though, is listening to the enemy!

Love you, friend!
K

Jill Beran said...

Wanting to quit is a habit of mine as well...about an hour after sharing this post I felt like quitting myself! Quitting as a mom and quitting writing because every time I share I am tested!! Ugh! I'm am thankful you pressed on with your series as well!! And yes God shows us much when He helps us through!! Blessings to you!!