Wednesday, June 5, 2013

There will be a day...

"There will be a day" is a phrase that has run through my mind lately, put there by circumstances in my life and two powerful songs. Jeremy Camp has one titled the same as this post and Cheri Keaggy has one titled, "There Will Be One Day." Each of these songs speak to the fact that one day there won't be anymore death, suffering, pain, fear, trials... All the things we try to avoid will be no more; that is a day we can look forward to!

But friend, as I've listened to these songs and looked forward to what heaven holds, I've had a new thought. When this day arrives, there will be opportunities that are gone as well. Opportunities to share my faith and confess my sins. A chance to witness to ones I love and ask for forgiveness from the ones I've hurt.

It's true, these days which bring stress to a farmer, ones full of rain and worry about when to plant will be gone. That's a reason to rejoice, but there's also a lesson here as well...one day the opportunity to plant seeds of faith, ones we know God will grow, will be extinct also. That's a reason to use our time wisely and do what God asks us to do!

When that one day comes, we'll be grateful the suffering is done and the trials are over. News of cancer won't bring us to our knees and tragedy will not take the ones we love, oh what a day that will be! But friend, if the ones we love don't KNOW the One who loves us that day will separate us forever. So yet another lesson...though illness and accidents can hurt the ones we love, don't forget they can open a door for us to talk about what, no Who, really matters.

I believe it's good to be excited about and look forward to that day, but at the same time we must remember to make the most of this day. Rather than longing for what lies ahead or waiting for the pain to end what can you do to prepare yourself, or someone else, for the day we know is coming?

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day 
your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house 
had known at what time of night the thief was coming, 
he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 
So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man 
will come at an hour when you do not expect Him." 
Matthew 24:42-44


2 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Thank you for reminding us to "live" in the moment. I have not heard it said better, Jill. I pray that each one of us will pray for the Lord to bring to mind a name or names of people in our lives for whom we need to pray and speak to be sure they know the One who loved and created them!!

Blessings,

Wendy

Beth said...

First of all, LOVE that song by Jeremy Camp. And you make a good point. Jesus said to "go make disciples of all nations" and I know I could definitly do more in that department. I think someimes that we, or at least I, think that we are doing just fine to be a believer, go to church, lead a good life etc, but there's more to it than that. I am a shy person by nature so the fear of rejection taunts me but I need to remember that it is the Holy Spirit speaking through me, and that God's word, when it goes out, does not return empty.
Great post Miss Jill!