Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Are you going to heaven?

Thanks to those of you stopping by from The Point Ministries after reading my faith story, and if you'd like to read it you can find it HERE. This post ties in with that story quite well and if your faith story has yet to begin, I pray God will use these words to draw you closer to Himself.

The title of this post is not a question you hear everyday, but it's one we'd better have answered come the day.

With the recent passing of my grandma and my children's countless questions, this is something we've talked about - heaven, how we get there, what it will be like...with 5 little people, we've covered about every angle possible!

Awhile back I was visiting with a friend and she shared a conversation she'd had with a loved one. For the sake of this post, I'll call my friend Denise and her loved one, Carol.

Carol was sick and it had been on Denise's heart to talk with her friend, she felt the need to know that Carol was going to heaven. So finally Denise made the trip to Carol's house; they enjoyed a great visit and she finally shared, "I know we're not supposed to get into other people's business, but I have a question for you - Are you going to heaven?"

Carol simply responded, "I hope so."

Denise then replied, "Carol, did you know you can KNOW you are going to heaven? You don't have to wait and wonder. There's no need to worry about what lies ahead. It's simple really...you have to admit you're a sinner."

Carol was listening, shook her head and quietly whispered, "Oh yes, I am a sinner. We all do wrong."

Denise continued, "Carol, you have to believe that God sent His only Son, Jesus, to die for you on the cross and then He rose from the dead."

Carol again shook her head and said, "I believe that, I learned about it years ago in Sunday School."

Denise continued, "Great! Finally you must confess that Jesus is your Lord and Savior! He is the Way!"

Carol bowed her head and did just that.

Denise said it was a precious, precious time.

Friend, I share this story with you because if I was to be bold like Denise and ask you this question, I would love to hear you say, "YES!" But more importantly, someday God will ask you a similar question and friends our good works, church attendance or abilities are not going to get us to heaven.

Like my friend Denise shared, we must -

A - Admit we are a sinner - Romans 3:22-24 - This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

B - Believe - John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

C - Confess our sins and faith in Christ - Romans 10:9-10 - If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

If this is something you want to do, there's no formal process to complete or paperwork to fill out, simply share your heart with Jesus. It may sound something like this -

Lord God, I admit that I'm a sinner and I ask you to forgive me. I believe You sent your Son, Jesus, to die for me and I believe you raised Him from the dead. I accept Him now as my personal Savior and confess that He is Lord of my life. In Jesus name, Amen

Friend if this leaves you with questions, I am praying you will ask them! I encourage you to talk with your pastor, a Christian friend or send me a message at jillberan@yahoo.com. If Jesus is knocking on the door of your heart let Him in! (Revelations 3:20)

And if this post is a reminder of the eternal home you are looking forward to I encourage you to thank God for the relationship you have with Jesus and future you have with Him!!

No comments: