Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Who's your Timothy?

Have you ever heard something and it tends to stick in your head? Wise words you find yourself pondering day after day. Me too. The other day I listened to a teaching by Stephanie Shott and her words have stuck with me. She said, "The biggest impact you make may not be because of what you do, it may be who you raise."

She went on to reference 2 Timothy 1:5 where Paul says, "I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also." This is the only time the two ladies are mentioned in Scripture, but I have to believe they are noted for a reason.

Paul, who loved Timothy as a son, was aware of their role in the young man's life. He knew the part they played was significant. Friend, if you are a mom or grandmother, God knows the same and much more about the responsibility He's given you.

As parents or grandparents we are raising up the future generation...we must not only teach them their ABC's and 123's, but must pass on our faith. This is more than teaching them right from wrong along with respect and responsibility. We need to instruct them on who God is and explain His plan for salvation. Our role isn't limited to instruction, we also must set an example. If we long for our children to one day live a life of faith, we must show them. If it's our hope they will turn to God for their daily needs, we must do it first. If we desire they be people of prayer, they need to see us humble our hearts and trust the Lord.

With 5 children of my own, I know this is not an easy task, but lately I've been reminded it is of utter importance. The work is worth it. I want God to work in and through my children, which means I'd better be willing to let Him work in and through me as I train them up.

Friend, maybe you're thinking I don't have any children so this post isn't for me, but that's not true. One, you can encourage your friends who are moms to live out this high calling and two, spiritually you have some "Timothy's."

Paul had no children, yet in 1 Timothy 1:2 he addresses his letter, "To Timothy, my true son in the faith..." Paul was a father figure to the young man who went on to preach and teach. He shared wisdom and truth. He set an example and offered encouragement. They spent time together and Paul wrote letters to him as well. The elder loved the younger, he cared for him and longed to see him.

In our world today, we'd call Paul a mentor and though the role may go unrecognized, it is priceless. As one who's had older women pour into my life, I know the value of being blessed by those who are a step ahead. I appreciate the wisdom others share, the example they set and encouragement they offer. Their prayers are powerful and presence in my life, whether close by or far away, often means more than words can express.

Friend, today I encourage you to think about your "Timothy's"...perhaps they live in your house and demand your attention, maybe they've grown up and live on their own or it could be they aren't even related at all, but no matter the reason recognize the connection. God has created it for a purpose. Thank Him for trusting you with the responsibility. Ask Him how you can share your faith and help build theirs. Pray for your Timothy's. Make yourself available. Be willing to do the work and make the sacrifice. Raising your "Timothy" is one of the most important things you can do!

While you're hard at work don't forget you are a Timothy too! Allow others to pour into you and help you mature in your faith. We are all works in progress and have more growing to do!

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for the reminder to pour into the future generation. I lift each mom to you...may she know to the core that You've equipped her for the work you've called her to. May she make mothering a priority and find joy in the journey. Help her keep parenting in perspective and may she draw her strength from you, our heavenly Father. I also lift each woman who has spiritual children to you...may we remember you're blood connects us all. Thank you for the role spiritual moms and sisters have played in my life; the work you do through your family is vital. Help me speak life, make time and pour into those following in my steps. Set our eyes on you and fill us with your Spirit so that we can share our faith with "Timothy's" you bring across our path and into our lives. In Jesus' Name, Amen 

No comments: