Monday, November 6, 2017

When we don't know what to do...

Cancer, sudden death, the Texas church shooting. All things that have been part of my life over the last three days. My heart hurts. So much pain and loss, but yet let's of questions, some worries and fears. Last night, I knew I needed rest and my body took the right position, but my mind was racing and my heart was hurting.

Though the shooting took place in Texas and I live in Iowa, it hit close to home. That church wasn't much different than ours...a small, rural congregation where young and old assume we're safe. Words from my kids and questions they asked as we watched the news came to mind. I know they were hurting too. Stories of a 14 year old girl and 6 year old boy broke their hearts as well. It also made them ask, "What if that happened at our church?"

I also thought of my friend, who'd just received the unexpected news of her mother's death and my heart hurt some more. Then another loved one who received the cancer diagnosis came to mind and the pain continued.

My body was still, but my thoughts wouldn't stop. I'd say a quick prayer and share more thoughts with my husband. At one point, he said in response, "Evil has no bounds." Those words stuck and reminded me we are in a battle. There is evil in the world. Bad things happen to good people. Even Jesus told us, "In this world you will have trouble, but take heart I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

This little nugget of truth opened the door for more scripture to come to mind. I instantly recalled a verse from a passage I'd been studying. In 2 Chronicles 20:12b we read, "We don't know what to do, but our eyes are on you."

In all of these situations, and even a few more, there are times I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say and sometimes even think. The pain in our world makes no sense and gets more complicated when we put ourselves in the shoes of those who hurt. Perhaps the first thing you and I need to do, is admit we don't know what to do.

Surrendering ourselves, our abilities, our desire to figure things out and be in control is vital. Letting go and giving up opens the door to letting God be God. It also helps us move our eyes.

Yesterday, once I heard the news of the shooting, I found myself glued to the coverage. For big chunks of time, I didn't learn anything new, I just listened to a different person tell the same, sad story. Our problems and pain have a way of monopolizing our attention. We must be mindful of our focus.

These words from Jehoshaphat shifted my attention. And I pray they do the same for you.

He found himself in a hard place. He had three armies coming against him and his people. Earlier in the same chapter it says, he was alarmed. Other versions say he was afraid, but regardless of which specific emotion we can learn from his example. In this state of mind, he decided to seek the Lord.

He didn't ask for another briefing, he didn't choose to dwell in fear or analyze the situation. He went to our great God. Then the people around him did the same. We read the beginning of his prayer in verse 6 - "LORD, the God of our ancestors, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you."

He goes on to speak more truth about God and promises the continued seeking of his people as he prays. The closing words to his prayer are the words we must not just remember, but learn to practice - "We don't know what to do, but our eyes are on you."

Friend, I don't know what you are wrestling with or focused on, but I know life can be hard. Tragedies make no sense and our hearts hurt. It can be easy to let pain and bad news become the center of our attention, but we must "fix our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him, He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2)

It can feel like evil is winning in our world today, but when we set our eyes on Jesus we are reminded that He is victorious! 1 Corinthians 15:55-57 says, "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting? For sin is the sting that results in death, and the law gives sin its power. But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Friend, I pray you take comfort in these truths and promises today. If you do not know Jesus as Lord and Savior, my prayer is you reach out and come to know Him personally. He offers hope, provides peace and gives us eternal victory in a world that daily leaves us defeated. Talk with a Christian friend, leave me a comment or visit this SITE to learn more.

Dear Heavenly Father, Lord we set our eyes on you. We don't know what to do when tragedy strikes, death happens and diagnosis change our plans, so we look to you. Our great God and good Father, the one who provides and protects. The One who loves and forgives, who offers mercy and grace, who has a plan and always acts with purpose. Lord, we know Satan is on the prowl and evil knows no bounds, but you never change and your victory is eternal. Thank you for renewing my mind with your Word, for helping me trust in your truth and for providing peace that surpasses all understanding. And Lord, if there is one reading this prayer who doesn't know you, I ask you to open the door of their heart. Give them eyes to see, ears to heart and a heart to understand. Help them know you in a powerful, personal way. When we are tempted to think we need answers and reassurance, Lord remind us all we need is you. Remind me of that when today's trials come. In Jesus' precious and powerful name, Amen. 

2 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Amen and amen. Fix our eyes NOT on the television, the tragedy, the heartbreak but on JESUS!!

Unknown said...

Excellent, Jill - Amen. I felt the same way you did but have always found my solace in the Lord and what it will be like beyond this life here on earth one day. Carol Rain