Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Powerful Words from a Friend

Welcome to those of you stopping by from the Encouragement Cafe...it's a joy to be sharing a bit of my heart with you there today. In my devotional, I share wisdom from my mom, "Choose your friends wisely!" Do you remember your points sharing the same statement with you? Do you now share with your kids?

Choosing our friends wisely is important regardless of our age or stage in life. Relationships play an important part in our lives and we must make sure we are surrounding ourselves with friends who will help us grow and stand strong in our faith.

This last week I found myself thinking about friendships and many thoughts went through my head. At times I struggle with how friendships change, but others I'm grateful for the powerful ways God uses them. Some of my friends are very different from one another, but yet they each play a special role.

Today I want to spend some time focusing on the things we say as friends. Of all people, friends should live out Ephesians 4:29, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

I am part of a women's ministry team and last week we were gearing up for our annual event; one in which God had given me some speaking parts. Standing on the stage with a microphone in my hand does not come natural for me, but this role was one God had confirmed again and again. He'd put a short message to close the day on my heart and confirmed it through His Word.

As the day drew near, He encouraged me through friends who lived out Ephesians 4:29. These friends weren't tickling my ears, but were encouraging me to trust and obey. They supported me as I tried to live out what God was asking me to do.

I heard things like, "You were made for this." "Remember the One who calls you is faithful!" "It will be wonderful!" Another message I appreciated greatly was, "I'm praying for you!"

I appreciated all the conversations and messages, but was also surprised how God used words from the past to encourage me as well. During the late night hours when doubt would hit, I would remember friends' words from months and even years ago...ones like, "You have a giftedness." "Your voice matters." "Remember God's faithfulness, we should never doubt again."

I'm grateful I've heeded my mother's advice and am thankful that God has blessed me with wonderful friends! Ones who sharpen me, build my faith and encourage my heart. These friends pray for me, speak Truth to me and set an example for me. I pray I can be a friend like them!

How about you...what role have your friends' words played in your life? What role do your words play in theirs? To see a specific example of my friend's powerful words, visit the Encouragement Cafe and read my devotional by clicking HERE.

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

4 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Be assured, sweet friend, you are a friend like that. You steward your God-given gift of encouragement so well. You spread words of encouragement and prayers throughout this nation...literally...as you share on your blog, on Facebook, via P31 on-line Bible studies, e-mails and notes. You are a dear friend to many, and I pray you know and believe that with all your heart today!

Blessings,

wendy

Unknown said...

Jill, I thank God for the gift of your friendship. You exude the Holy Spirit and have blessed me with grace, truth and love. I love you...

Jill Beran said...

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words Wendy! Grateful to walk through life with a wise woman like you!
Blessings back!

Jill Beran said...

Noelle, thanks for stopping by and sharing your kind words! You have blessed me in numerous ways as well! Blessings to you!