Monday, August 25, 2014

I'll do that tomorrow!

A few months back we were in the midst of potty training with our 5th child and there were moments I wondered if it would ever be over! Now that it's behind me, God has been reminding me of a frustrating phrase my little guy used all the time.

Jesse wanted nothing to do with potty training for the longest time. So much so that anytime we mentioned going to the bathroom, he'd simply respond with 2 year old confidence, "I do that tomorrow." After awhile, even Jed, our 4 year old would say, "Today is tomorrow!!"

We've had a child, sometimes two, in diapers for 11 years and I was ready to be done, so my little Jesse man was trying my patience and again proving he is a unique individual. One night in the midst of my frustration, God simply whispered to my heart, "You do that too."

Friend, I didn't even have to ask, "What?" I knew, I'd been telling God the same thing. He'd been leading me to do something and know as that leading, and a few new ones, continue, He's reminding me of progress. Jesse's not mine. I haven't changed a diaper in over 3 months...once my little guy was ready and made up his mind, potty training really was a breeze.

God has been encouraging me to learn a lesson from my little man...He's telling me I'm ready, now I need to just make up my mind, decide to obey and discipline myself to do it. Friend, we are told to wait upon the Lord - Isaiah 40:31 says, "But they that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength..." and Psalm 27:14 says, "Wait for the LORD, be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." I know waiting can be hard, but I'll be honest and admit sometimes I use that for an excuse.

Two of these "things" God is leading me to do have been confirmed time and again, but yet I wait...not for Him, but me and that philosophy is backwards. I am not to make God wait on me!! And neither are you!

Is there something God is asking you to do? A step He's leading you to take? Please don't respond like me or my son and say, "I'll do that tomorrow." Like my other little guy says, "Today is tomorrow!!" Friend, will you join me in taking action now! Walking in obedience can be scary and hard, but it is good and right and something God always blesses!!

Today let's think about this - "Now listen you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city and spend a year there, carry on business and make money. Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." James 4:13-14

Friend, tomorrow is not guaranteed, so do what you need to do today!!

No comments: