Friday, January 29, 2010

Every Hour

"Mom, can you tie my shoes?" "Mom, she hit me!" "Will you help me, Mom?" At times it seems I am in constant need - with 4 children there's always something to do, clean, wash, read... My husband has needs as well, and there's my extended family, church family, MOPS group, and on and on. If you're a woman I'm sure you understand! We are constantly in need and at times it seems like it's a never ending process. Every hour of the day we are in high demand and with a newborn it extends into the night as well.

The other night I was thinking about all I have to do and the many roles I play. I know God is leading me to cut back, I just need to discern where. Over the last year I've added a few new roles, but really haven't given any up and I'm beginning to feel the effects of my plate being full.

I shared some of my thoughts with my husband and after listening to me share how I was needed, he asked, "What do you need?" The question hit me and I've pondered it ever since. I've had a few possible answers come to mind - a maid, T-I-M-E, a break, chocolate, a day away, an uninterrupted talk with a friend, but as these ideas crossed my mind I heard a song in my head.

"I need thee every hour" were the words I heard and suddenly my train of thought turned in a whole new direction. I thought specifically of all the many ways and numerous times my kids need me and really it is no different with my heavenly Father. I need HIM! They need me in joy and pain just like I need Him.

As I thought about this things went a bit deeper and I realize just like my kids depend on me, I too must depend on someone. Perhaps at times I'm depending on the wrong person and occasionally the wrong thing. It can be tempting and easy to think I can do it and rely on my own strength, but that is such a lie.

The Bible does tell me I can do all things, but Paul includes a critical clarifier "through Christ who strengthens me!" (Phil. 4:13) I understood this verse before and believed it too, but this week God's reminding me of the truth it holds. On my own I can do somethings, even good ones, but it's Christ's strength that sustains!

Daily, even every hour, He can fill my needs and as He does that for me I can do the same for others.

The song on my heart today, pray it's on yours as well...

I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford

I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby
Temptations lose their power
When Thou art nigh

I need thee, oh, I need thee, every hour I need Thee
I need thee, I need thee, I need Thee every hour

I need Thee every hour in joy or pain
Come quickly and abide or life is in vain
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee, every hour I need Thee
I need Thee, I need Thee, I need Thee every hour
I need Thee, I need Thee, I need Thee every hour

Oh, bless me now, my Savior, I come to Thee
Oh, bless me now, my Savior, I come to Thee
I need Thee every hour, teach me Thy will
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill

I need Thee, oh, I need Thee
Oh I need Thee every hour
I need Thee, I need Thee, I need Thee every hour
I need Thee, I need Thee, I need Thee every hour

Oh, bless me now, my Savior, I come to Thee

1 comment:

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Jill,

Oh, how I understand! I just visited my son and beautiful daughter in law, along with my 4 grandbabies. With a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, 3 yr old and 12 month old, life is just plain exhausting! I have no idea how my sweet daughter in law does it! And my son is about to be deployed again. My heart goes out to you both, because I know it's hard. But I KNOW God is able to grant wisdom and strength. His joy is our strength!

Oh, and I'm so sorry about the man who spoke such harsh words about your book. (You left a comment on my blog about it.) The enemy used him, but once we recognize the enemy at work, it takes the sting out, doesn't it?

Praying you have a blessed week, and that God pours out His joy on you abundantly. :)