Friday, January 22, 2010

A Cry for Help

Awhile back I heard my son desperately cry out, “Mom!!” I stopped what I was doing and followed the sound. When I arrived I saw this -

Mr. J.D. had folded himself up in a chair! The look on his face was save me, but I surveyed the situation and knew he wasn’t hurt, so I opted for a quick photo shoot! After a couple of snaps, I answered his original cry and helped remove his little body from the chair.

I asked what he was doing and like most 6 year old boys who find themselves in a precarious situation he answered, “I don’t know.” And in all honesty it’s probably a question I don’t need to know the answer to, but it’s a picture that’s been etched in my mind. First of all because it makes me laugh - not too often can I get this little man to stand still!! But it’s stayed with me for another reason as well…

This isn’t the first time that J.D. has gotten himself into a bit of a mess and though I’ve never folded myself up in a chair it’s true the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. My inability to think ahead or my tendency to act out of impulse has left me stuck before as well. Perhaps not so much physically, but mentally, emotionally and even spiritually.

And what do I do in moments like that? Send out a cry for help! As a woman in my 30’s it’s no longer, “MOM!”, no instead it’s “Lord!” I may not use the same volume as my son, but my Father can hear the cry of my heart even when there is no noise. And just like my son trusted me to provide and offer assistance in his time of need, I know my heavenly Father will do the same.

As I think about that I recall my response when I saw J.D. - I laughed, shook my head and wondered, what was he thinking? Now as I see the similarity between my son’s cry for help and that of my own, I wonder how often has God laughed, shook his head and wondered what I was thinking!!!

Perhaps that’s another question I don’t want to know the answer too! So rather than focusing on that I will be grateful that God is a Father who helps regardless of my need and I’m thankful He’s helping me be a parent that does the same.

5 comments:

Laura said...

That is hilarious. Why is it that getting into that position would hurt you or me, but a six year old boy can withstand sooo much more?

Lelia Chealey said...

haha! I loved that you went and took a picture. And what a great lesson God showed you in this!

Rachel Olsen said...

That picture is priceless!

And as a gal who lost her mom at age 17, I had to learn to cry "Lord" rather than "Mom." Good message!

Rhodema @ MommyLife said...

Jill,

That is too funny. Glad he is alright. I wonder if God finds humor in some of my predicaments.

I can get myself into some lulu's.

Rhodema

Amy said...

Oh my How cute !!!! Thank you for stopping by my little place in blogville today and for the encouragement.