Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Mission Trip

We have a couple of nieces preparing to go on a mission trip. They will be spending a week on an Indian reservation and have plans to work with the youth of the community. We are praying for Jennah and Grace, and at the same time my mind has been thinking about mission trips.

In my 33 years I have never been on one, I know many people who have travelled to places far and wide as an act of obedience. They have the desire to share God's word with others. For awhile I wondered when God would call me on a trip to do the same and it didn't take long and He responded.

I wasn't being called to Mexico, the homeless in San Francisco or the Indians in South Dakota - He assured me I wouldn't have to leave the state for my mission trip. There are people right here in my own backyard, neighborhood and even my family that need to hear the Good News.

His Word tells us, "And then he told them, 'Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone.'" Mark 16:15 (NLT) It often seems we focus on the 'go into all the world' bit and with that think we have to go across state borders or ocean waters to accomplish this task. But that is not the case, lonely, lost people are everywhere and we are called to go to them.

For some that means across the world and others it's simply "going" across the street. I use the word simply there quite lightly because in a way it's perhaps more difficult than crossing into new territory.

I know mission trips away from home bring their challenging moments, but so do the ones in our front yard. And really those are the ones we are called to the most - even my two nieces have just a week to make an impact on the people of South Dakota, but the rest of the year they will be back with their classmates, teammates and neighbors.

So my thought today, though it is good to plan and go on BIG mission trips, we need to capture some of that same enthusiasm for the ones God calls us to daily. Perhaps we don't have an agenda and schedule for this trip, but it is important just the same. And really aren't the people closest to us typically the ones we love the most? So what better place to share the most important news God has for us to offer!

Regardless of where you are today - remember it's the mission trip He's called you on!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Hey girl! My husband and I talk about this all the time! Like you said, God has called us into all the world, but sometimes we forget that our world is those people around us. There are so many people even sitting on the seats in our Meeting Houses that are lost. They warm the spot, but there heart isn't warm or tender towards God. That's a mission field also.

I know I have a hard time witnessing to my family. I think that is the hardest people to ever share the gospel with, the ones with whom you share lineage. But, PTL, sometimes it's not always in what you say, but how you act around them.

We forget that also. They not only hear us, but what they see...that's very real and personal. It's a matter of living your testimony for Christ.

Great post today, sister!