Sunday, April 5, 2020

Part of the Crowd

It's Palm Sunday - a reason to rejoice! This Palm Sunday looks different than any I've ever celebrated because in the midst of Covid-19, we are worshipping at home. I'm grateful though much has changed, some things remain the same. The Word of God is unchanging. Our reason to celebrate will forever remain. Our ever present God is always with us. 

God's put it on my heart to share a post each day this week. Reflections of the past. It's crazy to think I've been sharing on this blog for almost 12 years. Much has changed and my faith has grown. God led me to start it in 2008 and He's spoken to me through each and every post. He's led me to write because He knows I need to read it. And as the faithful God He is, He works through the work He asks us to do. I pray He continues that work as you join me this Holy Week to prepare our hearts for Resurrection Sunday. 

As you read, if He puts something on your heart, leave a comment. I'd love to hear what He's speaking to you. We can't gather together physically, but He's brought us here and we can praise Him for the work He's doing and seek Him together. Friend, I pray this week is a powerful one as you journey towards your Jerusalem with Jesus! 

From April 16, 2019

Crowds aren't my favorite thing. I'd rather visit with you one on one, but I've found in a big group of people it is pretty easy to blend in. In a crowd, it's tempting to go with the flow and simple to lose yourself in the masses. Friend, this holy week I'd like to encourage you to think about something that's been on my mind - Are you part of the crowd?

Jesus dealt with crowds as well and he was never wrongly influenced by them. Let's make sure we aren't either.

Mass groups of people played a role in Christianity back then and they still do today. Let's take some time and get a closer look. Matthew 21:6-11 paints the picture for us. Here we read -


The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. They brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them for Jesus to sit on. A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted,
“Hosanna to the Son of David!”
“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”

“Hosanna in the highest heaven!”
When Jesus entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred and asked, “Who is this?”
The crowds answered, “This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee.” 

Did you notice a mention of crowds? What's your takeaway?

To me it seems Jesus' triumphant entry was met by many. They were welcoming him, cutting branches and announcing his coming. The whole city was stirred. That's a lot of people and activity and excitement.

In our world, Easter and Christmas morning might look a bit like this. We have more people than usual attending church services. Though Christianity is under attack, the world still recognizes these days and celebrates them as well. There is an excitement in the air and joy fills our hearts as we think of the newborn King and our risen Savior.

Let's fast forward in the story just a bit. Join me in reading Matthew 27:55-56 -

There were also many women there, looking on from a distance, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering to him, 56 among whom were Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of James and Joseph and the mother of the sons of Zebedee.

Let's also look at John 19:25 -  

Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.

Do you notice a difference? What has happened? Where's the crowd?

Friend, this may be a simple thing to overlook in the story of Jesus' last days, but I think it holds a lesson for us. The number of people at Jesus' side has surely changed and so have his circumstances.

What happens when our circumstances change? When the excitement of Christmas prep and Easter fun fades does our zeal for faith do the same? When trials come do we run from God or cling to Christ? When life is busy do we go with the flow and put our faith to the side? Are we content to be part of the crowd and praise Christ when it's convenient?

You don't have to tell me your answers, but I hope you take time to think about these questions. This holy week let's spend time reflecting on the Word and preparing our hearts for Resurrection Sunday, but may we also commit to following Christ wherever the road leads. Let's celebrate His coming and stay by His side always!

No comments: