Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Just Quit

A big welcome to my friends from Encouragement Cafe! It is a joy to share my devotional with you today! If you'd like to read, "When You Want to Quit," click HERE. To continue with the quitting theme, I'm going to look at it from a different perspective. It's true we can't quit on our walk of faith, but as we follow Jesus there are things we must quit. Would you agree?

In September of 1999, I found myself in the bottom of a pit called depression and felt I'd come to the end. I'd believed those "No Quit" quotes when it came to sports, but applying them to life was more of a challenge. I was ready to quit the game of life, but God intervened.

Thankfully, He kept me from dying physically, but in the process He's led me to die to myself! He continually asks me to live out Galatians 2:20 - “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." 

I've been praying about what I should share here in response to my devotional and it seems God's led me to share some contrary advice, "Just Quit!" The basketball coach in me can't believe I'm saying that, but because Christ is in me, I know that's what I need to do. And friend so do you!

I'll share the list God has given me:

Just QUIT listening to lies so that you can hear the voice of Truth.
So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in Him, 
"If you abide in My Word, you are truly my disciples, and 
you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free." 
John 8:31-32

Just QUIT worrying so that you can trust God with all your heart.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and 
lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

Just QUIT living out of old insecurities so that you can be who God made you to be!
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: 
The old has gone, the new is here! 2 Corinthians 5:17

Just Quit busying yourself so that you can do what God ask you to do.
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus 
to do good works, which God prepared 
in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10

Just QUIT holding onto bitterness so that you can forgive and be forgiven.
For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Matthew 6:14-15

Just QUIT running after your dreams so that God's plan can unfold.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you, 
plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Just QUIT striving for other's approval so that you can earn God's!
The fear of man lays a snare, 
but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe. Proverbs 29:25

Just QUIT living for yourself so that you can follow Jesus!
Then He said to them all: “Whoever wants 
to be my disciple must deny themselves 
and take up their cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23


Advising someone to quit is not something I do too often, but I pray as you read this list you've been reminded there are somethings we need to just quit. The sinful, selfish stuff we do has to go if we truly want to die to self so that Christ can live. 

Today, I encourage you to spend some time with God, ask Him what you need to quit and then pray for the strength and desire to do just that! Friends, He died so that one day we will live with Him forever, but we can make the choice to die today so that He can live through us now!

No comments: