Sunday, February 17, 2019

Perfect Timing

They say a picture says a thousand words and the other day this photo from the past came to mind. It's a great memory from years ago, but recently God used it to teach me a lesson. This pic of my baby makes me smile...he had obviously just finished a meal of spaghetti and then insisted on praying. That's about all I recall from that day years ago, but I'm going to share the truth it shows me today.

Our pastor has been preaching through the book of Matthew and two weeks ago we studied the Beatitudes. As I listened to the teaching, I believe the Holy Spirit put it on my heart to pray these verses. It was a great idea and I whispered a prayer in the moment, but a week later I sat in church as our pastor reviewed the previous sermon before he started the current message. I recalled what God was telling me to do and felt bad for not getting it done. 

Satan was working to condemn while God had clearly convicted. Thankfully, the Holy Spirit helped me take my thoughts captive and rather than beating myself up, I moved forward in what God was asking me to do. Below, you will find the prayer I wrote and hopefully will continue to pray based on the words of Jesus. If God leads you to pray it, I trust He will bless you too. I also hope He uses this to remind us all that there is a perfect time to pray. 

We tend to pray before we eat, but just like my little guy we can pray when the meal is over. Scripture tells us there is a perfect time to pray and it's NOW. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says, "Pray without ceasing." Ephesians 6:18 tells us, "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people." In Romans 12:12 we read, "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."

So friend, as we move forward in our walk with Jesus, let's pray before and after, now and later, let's go to the Lord always! He hears and answers. 

Beatitudes Prayer
Lord, in your Word and through your Word you teach me, I come to you now because of that teaching. May the words of my mouth and meditation of my heart be pleasing to you. 

I ask you to make me poor in spirit. Help me declare spiritual bankruptcy Lord. Without you I am nothing. Help me take my eyes off self and things of this world and put them on you.

Lord, you bless those who mourn. I'm thankful for your comfort when I grieve. Help me not just grieve for those I miss and opportunities that are gone, but may I truly be grieved by sin.

Father, you are God and I am not. Make me meek and humble. Help me submit to you and be gentle with others. I give you control and trust your perfect plan.

Sometimes I physically eat the wrong things...unhealthy foods that don't satisfy, help me not do the same thing spiritually. Give me a hunger and thirst for righteousness. Like Jesus may my food be to do your will and accomplish your work. Feed me with your Word Father.

Lord, you are merciful, help me be the same. Give me eyes to see the people around me, ears to really listen and the desire to truly invest in others' lives and feel their pain.

God, I ask you to purify my heart. Help me see and deal with the sin in my heart. Make me holy. Make me more like you. 

Father, the world is full of conflict and fighting so I ask for your help in being a peacemaker. I don't want to be a peacekeeper or peacefaker, but long to help others resolve conflict. You are the Prince of Peace, help me point others to you so they can experience peace too.

Lord, following you brings peace, joy and hope, but in a world that doesn't know you or always welcome you help me remember to expect persecution. May I remember you will provide the strength to endure this and set an example for how to embrace it. 

Lord, I thank you in advance for the blessings you will bring. I'm grateful for the kingdom of heaven, your comfort and mercy. I'm thankful to be your child and I look forward to seeing you. 
In Jesus' powerful and precious name, I pray. Amen.


1 comment:

Wendy Blight said...

Jill, this is a phenomenal prayer and a precious example of personalizing and praying God's Word. I've never seen someone do this before!! Thank you for sharing it here. You have truly blessed me today.