Sunday, February 24, 2019

Blizzard Conditions

 I woke up this morning to blizzard conditions in Iowa. Before we even got out of bed we could hear the wind blowing and my husband's first words were, "I don't want to go out there." But life on the farm didn't give him any other option and it wasn't long before he said, "I better get going. You can get the kids up to clean the bunks."

We'd received more snow thru the night and now were experiencing 50 mph wind gusts, so there were drifts everywhere and the cattle bunks were full of snow instead of feed. Blizzards are dangerous and on the farm they are not fun. My husband wasn't able to get down our drifted road to feed the cattle on our other farm til late afternoon. Before he headed back out, we glanced out the window and he said, "Well, at least the sun is shining. A good reminder this won't last forever."

Friend, regardless of what the weather is like where you are, those are powerful words to remember in the midst of any storm. They're true in our Iowa blizzard and for the spiritual storm that can rage as well.

This morning I woke up with a heavy heart...we've had two deaths in my extended family and my heart hurts for friends who are walking through depression, anxiety, grief, cancer, financial problems and relationship struggles. Friends dealing with sick infants and others with aging parents.

Sometimes life feels a bit like a blizzard. Troubles pile up faster than the snow outside my door. Tears from pain and grief and fear fall quicker than the flakes that fall from the sky. Sometimes the storm catches us off guard...it can leave us feeling stranded and alone. It reminds us we're not in control. Just like the blizzard has changed many plans, spiritual storms do the same.

As our snow day passed by, I found myself thinking about the similarities between the two storms and wanted to share the insight God seemed to put on my heart.

Sometimes we have to wait. It would have done my husband no good to try and move snow this morning. The wind was blowing so hard that tire tracks were filled in almost as fast as they were made. When a storm rages, we have to wait it out. The same is true in life...we can't rush grief or have instant healing. It all takes time and rarely do we know how long it will take, so let's pray for patience and remember the SON will shine.

One scoop at a time. When tomorrow comes and it's time to move snow, it won't be cleaned up instantly. It's going to take time...whether it's my husband in the skidloader or son with his shovel, it will all be moved one scoop at a time. This truth reminds me of Elizabeth Elliot's famous line, "Do the next right thing." Friend, if you find yourself in the pit of depression or overwhelmed with grief, do the next thing. Whatever mountain you're facing, press on and climb it one step at a time. This blizzard on the farm has taught me sometimes it's just about the necessities. Today, my husband did the basics...he checked on and fed the animals, that's about it. In the midst of your storm, let go of the need to do it all.

Make the most of it. This morning one of my little guys told me, "I kind of like the blizzard. We can all be home." The past winter sports season has kept us busy and on the go, but today the weather cancelled church and had us all in the house. Blizzards change our plans, but they provide opportunities. Friend, your storm has most likely changed your plans. Who are you spending time with because of it? How can you encourage them? Make the most of it as you cling to Romans 8:28 - "God is working for the good of those who love Him."

Perspective. Though the weatherman has predicted this blizzard there has been nothing we could do to change it. The power of God has clearly been on display, but so has His protection and provision. Friend, your storm may be one you saw coming or perhaps it caught you off guard, either way it didn't surprise God. He knew the waves of grief that were coming, the stack of bills you face and troubles that don't seem to stop. He's not just aware of this and all the other damage a storm includes, but He's working in it and through it. As the winds blow and storms rage, may we set our eyes on Jesus, cling to the Truth and rest in His promises.

Friend, in the midst of the blizzard I pray we can TRUST.

Heavenly Father, 
Lord, you see the wind blowing and the snow falling. You control it too. You understand the effects and are working through the problems it creates. You know my worries and fears. You hear my cries and see my tears. In the midst of my storm, help me trust you. I believe you are good, you are mighty and you are able. In my times of doubt, help my unbelief. In the moments of pain, comfort my hurt. When I feel helpless, remind me your grace is sufficient and your Helper is with me. When I'm weak, may I remember you are strong. Father God, help me trust you with all of my heart and lean not on my own understanding. And Lord, in the midst of this blizzard I know spring is coming; when the spiritual storms rage may I not forget eternity is drawing near. You are my Shepherd. Thank you for walking with me, providing for me and taking care of me. Surely your goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell with you forever. In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen

No comments: