Monday, August 6, 2018

Growth takes time...

Have you ever found yourself thinking much about growth? As a mom to 5 and a farmer's wife, it seems growth happens all around me. My children are getting taller and our corn is too. This is a good thing. It's what kids and crops are supposed to do!

Lately I've found myself thinking about a different type of growth, the kind we don't necessarily see with our eyes, but the development that should take place for every believer - spiritual growth.

The 7th annual ReNEWed Life Women's Event is quickly approaching and I'm again blessed to be a part of it. As I work with our team and connect with our speaker, my excitement builds. I know God has good things in store for us yet again, but at the same time I'm a little bit sad. I've told the team, I'll be stepping down after this event.

I trust God is leading me to make this move, but as I've said before, "Sometimes stepping away is just as hard as stepping out." That very thought leads me to reflect and makes me remember the days of stepping out. I'm not the same person I am today as I was back in 2012 when this all began. Praise the Lord for that!

Back then I'd been married for 11 years and a mom to a 9, 7, 5, 2 and 1 year old. I was extremely nervous and felt quite unqualified to talk with our speaker as we planned. I struggled to share my ideas with the team because I wrestled with doubts and feelings of insecurity. I worried about what others would think when I spoke from the stage and battled perfection as I prepped prayer cards for all the attendees.

Six years have passed and we just celebrated our 17th anniversary, I now have a 15, 13, 11, 8 and 7 year old. We just finished a softball season and are gearing up for high school football and junior high cross country. Life is busy and I still get overwhelmed, but thankfully I've learned what to do and where to go when stress hits and chaos comes.

As I prepare for the 7th, and for now my final, ReNEWed Life, I'm grateful. God has changed me. I too have grown. As I share a bit about this growth, I'm going to share some pictures of my 2nd born, my daughter Joy. You will see her "grow up" in the pics and I pray as you reflect on your own life over the last 6 years, God gives you pictures as well.

When ReNEWed Life began, Joy was only 7, but she already had a desire to be a part of it all. She sat through each session and made friends with the speaker. To this day she still remembers Lisa Whittle's words to her - "Live up to your name." God has helped her do this and He also changed me with that line as well. Friend, you and I have probably answered to different names through our years, but the one we must live out is: Child of God. A huge part of my growth has come from knowing God more, which helped me understand who I am as His beloved daughter.

After year one, Joy was hooked and in 2013 she was able to hang out with Wendy Blight. The Holy Spirit truly connects hearts and He did that Joy and Wendy. My daughter and I have both grown spiritually because of Wendy's prayers and her teaching. Children need food and rest to grow, crops need sun and rain and friend, we need something as disciples. Romans 10:17 comes to mind. It says, "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the Word of Christ." If we want our faith to grow, we must spend time in the Word. It is what has the power to transform and as God changes us from the inside out, we will grow.

Year three brought Teske Drake to Cresco and Joy not only attended, but she started to serve. She helped decorate the day before and made an apron for our speaker. Teske spoke of the faithfulness of God and as we grow we see it more and more. Maturing in our faith deepens our roots, which leads to fruit. Galatians 5:22-23 becomes more alive in our lives and we experience "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Others are blessed by it as well! As we embark the teenage years, I pray Joy and I both continue to grow in the fruit of the Spirit!

ReNEWed Life 2015 was truly the most difficult event for my girl and me. Not even a month prior, Joy's 1st cousin, Grace, was killed in a car accident. As the older sister she never had and a niece I dearly loved, we both experienced deep grief, yet God led us forward. Our theme for the year was, "From Broken to Beautiful" and through Mary DeMuth God met us in our pain. Many there were grieving and broken, but she encouraged us to cry out to our Lord and Savior. God knows our pain and hears our cries. Friend, growth isn't always easy...children can experience growing pains and Christians can too. God truly uses our trials to deepen our faith and strengthen our relationship with Him. This growth isn't fun, but it is so productive. Keep seeking.

2016 brought Micca Campbell to Iowa and Joy's younger sister, Jaylyn, to her first ReNEWed Life. Together my girls were so excited and honestly, I was a bit exhausted by their enthusiasm as we prepped and decorated. There was a moment I clearly remember questioning why I brought them along, but as I reflect I'm reminded growth is a process. Micca talked much that day about surrender and it's a huge part of growth. Friend, you and I ultimately are not in control of growth. We can pray, read the Bible and worship, but God changes our, and our kids, hearts. He determines how tall we are and the depth of our faith. Just like the corn we plant, there are seasons in our walk of faith. We must be patient and trust Him with the process and then thank Him when the plant starts to sprout and the harvest begins to happen.

Last year, Joy was thrilled to have Luann Prater join us and she did something she had never done. She joined me on stage and helped introduce her faraway friend. In 5 short years I went from wondering if my little girl could sit still all day to watching her address an audience of 100. Clearly, growth takes time, but when we invest in the crop and trust the Creator it happens. As we grow, God leads us to do new things, helps us overcome our fears and bless others in the process.

Friend, I don't know what journey God has had you on over the past few years, but I trust He's been at work. I encourage you to pause for a moment and think about the growth that has taken place. I look back at the pictures of my girl and clearly see she has grown...she's not a little girl anymore, but she clearly has a better understanding of who she is as God's girl. Can the same be said about you?

I may no longer be planning a women's ministry event, but I pray my walk with God continues to change me from the inside out. As I look back at the past 6 years, I find myself looking ahead to 2024. Lord willing 3 of my children will have graduated and they will all have grown and changed. Physically, I'm pretty sure that will happen and I'm praying spiritually it will happen too!

Dear Heavenly Father, Lord thank you for the reminder that growth takes time, but it does happen. You work in amazing ways. I pray you continue to change me from the inside out. Renew me. Restore me. Make me more like you. As my physical body changes, help me not lose heart because I know internally you are renewing me day day. Thank you Lord for your faithfulness in the past help me see it and praise you for it in the future. In Jesus' Name, Amen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill, you are a tremendous blessing to all who read your blog, know you personally & lucky me to have you as a sister in law! Your words spur me to want more from my relationship with Christ & to be patient with the growth! �� Thanks Jill again for your encouraging words!❤️ Audrey

Anonymous said...

Your words are timely as always. Thank you for sharing your heart and your wisdom. Vali

Anonymous said...

I love this Jill Beran! It is amazing how God grows us and shapes us, even when we are uncertain of what the outcome may be. Thank you for sharing these sweet words and documenting the journey. I am excited to see what this year’s event holds! Kayla M

Unknown said...

What an honor it is to be a part of your growth journey and you mine. I'm blessed God allowed our paths to cross and to have been one of the ReNEWed speakers. Over the years, God has knit our hearts together in a special way as we encourage, pray, and support each other while doing life and ministry. I know wherever God is leading you is going to be good because He is good. He can't do anything less. While it's hard to "step out" our greatest kingdom tasks are always ahead of us. As we grow, so do our assignments! I'm looking forward with anticipation at what God has in store for you, my friend. Love you and say "Hi" to the kids for me.

Wendy Blight said...

I am just now seeing this! Somehow I missed it. Oh, I LOVE this picture. Joy is growing into an amazing young women much like her mama. Like Micca, it has been an honor to be part of your journey with God. I'm so thankful God placed us both on this earth at this time to walk our journeys together. God is doing a new thing. And, that is scary ... I know! But, it's also going to be amazing to see how He will use you in new circumstances and new relationships. His plans are ALWAYS good because He is GOOD!