Monday, August 20, 2018

Can you watch the gate?

Today I did something I haven't done in awhile...watch the gate as my husband fed cattle. I've done this plenty of times before, but lately it's one of our kids who does the job. They were all doing their own thing when Job texted and asked, "Can you watch the gate?"

I could and I'm glad I did. As I stood there with half grown calves looking at me, God gave me a picture. There was nothing keeping these larger than me animals in their pen once I swung open the red gate and waited for my husband to drive through. As I stood there hoping I wouldn't let any out, memories flooded my mind.

I recalled my days on the farm as a child and the countless times I feared getting run over by a cow, pig or sheep while doing the very same job. I was also afraid of upsetting my parents if I didn't do the job and created more work. But, what really came to mind was memories from this past weekend.

I attended and helped organize the ReNEWed Life Women's Event where we were blessed with the teaching of Stephanie Shott. She showed us the power and relevance of God's Word. She challenged me as a believer and as a mom. She encouraged and equipped me too.

This morning as I watched the cattle gate I thought about two different gates. First of all, the gate of my heart and mind. Friend, all day long there's potential for things to enter our heart and mind. Some of these things are good and beneficial; others, not so much. Some are truth and bring life, others are lies and lead to death.

As I purposely stood and intently watched our cattle gate, I wondered - "Do I do this with my heart and mind?" The honest answer is: not always. If I had not watched the gate, we might still be chasing cattle and when I don't watch the gate in a spiritual sense there are consequences as well. Think with me for a minute...as we watch the gate of our mind, what should we keep out? 

A few answers that quickly come to my mind...lies from the enemy, worries and anxious thoughts, and false teaching. We must remember failing to watch our farm gate results in cattle getting out, neglecting my spiritual gate leads to bad things getting in!

Being a mom, I thought about the spiritual gates in my children's hearts and minds. They need watching too! As their mom, I need to be mindful and aware of what they are exposed to and consuming. And just like we did on the farm, we need to teach them how to watch the gate. As they grow and mature, they need to learn and be given opportunities to filter what goes into their heart and mind.

They won't know this simply by turning a certain age and even as an adult I need assistance too. Time spent in God's Word will encourage and equip me to do the job I was reminded I needed to do.

Proverbs 4:23a tells us - "Above all else, guard your heart..."

1 Corinthians 16:13 says, "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong."

Friend, we can clearly see that we need to guard our heart. We need to guard it from the things of this world, from the ways of our culture and from our enemy Satan, who is constantly on the attack.

2 Timothy 1:14 instructs us with something else we need to guard. Here Paul says, "Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you-guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us."

God has given us His Word and as we read and study it, we get wisdom and understanding. We can hide truth in our hearts, but we must guard it. It takes more intentionality to watch our spiritual gate than my cattle gate. We must be discerning and take in sound teaching and then we must be wise and guard it! Thankfully, we have the Holy Spirit to help us!!

Friend, I'm going to ask you the same question my husband asked me - "Can you watch the gate?"

Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for being an ever working, always teaching Father. Help me watch my spiritual gate. Sometimes the job is hard and scary, but it's so important. On the farm we don't want to let the cattle out and when it comes to my faith, I don't want to let lies and half-truths in. Oh Lord, give me wisdom and diligence. In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen.

2 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Another great lesson from the farm!! It's such a great visual for God's warning for us to guard our hearts. And, for me, being in the Word daily helps ensure that I guard my heart and mind and take every thought captive that is not from Him. Helps keep the Enemy in check.

me :)

Jill Beran said...

Thanks Wendy! Yes, the Word is what truly equips us! I read Psalm 119:9 this morning and it ties right in - "How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word."