Wednesday, March 15, 2017

The Spiritual Stop-Light

Rest...is this something you are in need of? Do you get enough? What keeps you from rest? I've found myself knee deep in a study on rest for the last 5 weeks and friend, there is much to this simple little word. We need it in a physical sense, but it can be hard to get and sometimes we fight it. We're also dependent upon it in a spiritual sense. Rest affects our body and our mind. It refreshes our heart and our soul.

When it comes to faith, we can talk about eternal rest, Sabbath rest and sanctifying rest. In the Bible, God rested, the land rested and people rested. We are commanded to rest and it is a side effect of trust. The Isrealites found out rebellion led to no rest, while Jesus taught submission would bring rest.

Friend, these are all important facts to know and Truths to remember, but can I share an illustration with you that made this a bit more personal?

The last couple of weeks I've been battling a sickness, so I haven't been feeling the best and on top of that I'm feeling a bit behind. I've found myself pressing on and doing what needs to be done, but last Saturday it was as if God said, "Sometimes you need to STOP." Life just happened to make this work and I, the gal who never takes naps, slept for 3 hours in the middle of the day. Clearly my body needed rest.

The following day I found myself thinking more about God's whisper and the importance of the Truth that was impressed on my heart. Spiritually sometimes I too just need to stop. I don't know about you, but sometimes my mind can race and my feelings can rattle. My thoughts can get so far into the future that worry and fear take over or sometimes I can dwell on the past and guilt and shame settle in. My focus can drift to my circumstances rather than on my Father. My eyes wonder to the what if's, instead of being set on Jesus, my Lord and Savior.

This was all still on my heart yesterday when I went to town. You see here on the farm, we don't have stoplights on the gravel roads or in our small town, but as I drove the streets of what my little boys would call a big city a stop-light gave us much needed instruction.

As I approached a light it turned red and I recalled the Holy Spirit's whisper along with the words of Psalm 46:10 - "Be still and know that I am God." Stopping at an inersection in town keeps me safe, but being still on my spiritual walk keeps me connected. Friend, you and I need to know God and that doesn't happen when we are racing through life. We must take time to stop, read His Word, pray from the heart and lift His holy name.

Knowing Him will bring rest...when life wears us out or worry weighs us down, we can remember He is the God who restores, always provides and is forever present. Knowing Him helps us rest in His presence and on His promises.

We quickly came to another light and this time a different word came to mind along with another passage. COME and Matthew 11:28 where Jesus says, "Come to me all who are weak and heavy laden and I will give you rest." 

Friend, this life has a way of leaving us feeling wek and heavy laden. Would you agree? I don't know what's on your shoulders or your heart, but you don't have to carry it alone. Sometimes we're going at such a pace we forget this truth and others we're so consumed with a desire for control or condemned with shame we feel we can't go to the One who can help. Let me point out another key word in this verse - ALL. Jesus is calling for all to come to Him, so the next time you approach the stop-light make sure you make a turn and go to Jesus.

Finally, just like the lights a 3rd key word came to me and another verse - PEACE. John 14:27 says, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." Friend, when we are still and come to Jesus, we not only know Him and experience rest, but we also receive peace. In the world we live in this is a blessing. Peace helps us keep perspective and provides power to persevere.

No matter what your day holds or where your walk leads, I pray God gives you a spiritual stop-light and reminds you to be still and come to Him so that you will be blessed with His peace!! Then may we GO, so that He is glorified!!

No comments: