Sunday, March 12, 2017

Don't Settle

After a watching our Cyclones win the Big 12 tournament, I've found myself thinking about another phrase the players and coach tend to use - "Don't Settle!" When asked about the game plan following the teams semi-final win, our soft-spoken big playing Deonte Burton said, "Coach tells me not to settle, so I didn't." Burton and his teammates were aggressive, they made the extra pass and won big. 

I didn't watch the other semi-final, but I have to admit I was kind of hoping West Virginia would lose as they were the only team to beat us twice and they play a style of ball that's been difficult for us the last few years. As I thought about this, I figured the team was thinking differently. All along they've said the old cliche, "If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best." They wanted a rematch. They didn't want to settle for the easy route to the championship. 

The Mountaineers won by one, which set up a title game which the Cyclones were picked to lose. The outside doubters didn't affect our team that seems to be disciplined, playing with focus and staying the course. The guys started slow, but they didn't settle. They didn't compromise the coach's game plan, nor did the grow complacent and give up. 

Friend, you might not find yourself playing for a championship anytime soon, but this little phrase could be insightful for whatever the future holds. What does settling look like in your life? As a mom, do you settle? How about as a wife? Or an employee? Most importantly what about as a believer? 

A coach never wants his or her players to settle on the court, but how often do we do that in life as a follower of Christ? I encourage you to pause and think about this question for awhile. Better yet pray about it; ask God to show you how, where and when you settle. Do you settle when it comes to reading God's Word? Are you complacent when it comes to prayer? Do you compromise when you are tired, anxious or upset? 

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I think there's power in asking these questions. Friend, living life and glorifying Christ is so much more important than playing ball and winning a trophy. If an athlete shouldn't settle on the court, we shouldn't either. Are you comfortable where you are? Is God calling you out of your comfort zone, but you're willing to settle and do what you've always done? Is God leading you to take the extra step and asking you to forgive one who may never change? Will you settle and struggle with pain that will never change or will you do the work and follow God's lead? 

I don't have any great answers or illustrations for you, as I'm pondering these questions myself, but I have some verses that may encourage your heart as you strive for excellence rather than settle for complacency. 

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable." 1 Corinthians 9:24-25

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

"The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied." Proverbs 13:4

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15


"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might, for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going." Ecclesiastes 9:10










Friend, again I encourage you to think and pray about this idea of settling. May God convict our hearts where they've grown complacent and change it so we concentrate on who God is and concerned with His plan, not our own. 







Dear Heavenly Father, Lord I confess for settling, please forgive me. I ask you to examine my heart and open my eyes to see where, when and how I settle. Don't let me grow complacent in seeking and serving You. Help me want what you want, go where you lead and do what you ask. God, I pray for a humble heart and a submissive spirit. I also ask for discipline to obey and faith to believe. I know you will provide all I need out of your glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Help me strive for the best Lord, not for my success but for your glory. I'm grateful for the opportunity to play on your team! Thank you for being a coach who encourages me not to settle. In Jesus' Name, Amen



No comments: