Saturday, October 18, 2014

In Honor of My Husband


"Glorify the LORD with me, let us exalt His name together."
Psalms 34:3

Today my husband celebrates his birthday and God's put it on my heart to pay him a little tribute here...my prayer is it honors him, glorifies God and speaks to you.

Job would be the first one to tell me not do this...he is a private guy, who knows the spotlight belongs on Christ and I pray that will be the case as I share a bit about the light that shines from my husband.

We just celebrated thirteen years of marriage this summer and we have known one another since I was in junior high. I always thought he was a good guy, but now I know he is a Godly man.


He is a man who seeks after God, studies His Word and applies it to his life.

He's a husband who loves me, believes in me, is patient with me and listens to me.

He's a Dad who makes time for his kids, sees their gifts and builds their faith.

He's a son who respects his mom, misses his dad and builds on the legacy he's been handed.

He's a brother who always has time for family and never turns up on opportunity to help.

He's a farmer who loves his job, enjoys God's creation and works hard to provide.

He's not perfect, but he perseveres. He makes mistakes, but then seeks forgiveness. He works hard, but always takes time to rest.

He laughs and helps me find joy in the everyday. He prays and trusts God will answer. He appreciates the gift of faith and lives faithfully.

Job is the guy I love and appreciate, but I hate to admit he's the one I too often take for granted. Daily he does things to bless me and works hard to lighten my load, but the thanks don't always come. Life is busy and my kids are needy, I'm sorry to say Job doesn't always come first. (He should be before the kids...not God!) So on his birthday, I'm committing to not just blessing him today, but in the year to come. I long to pray for him, serve him and choose him before the other people and things in my life.

I'm grateful for the man God brought into my life, but I don't want to simply think that thought, I want to live it. Friend, if you are married, I challenge you to do the same. What does that look like in your life? Is there something you to need to do? Something you need to quit doing? Marriage is a picture of Christ and the church, what can we do to make it the beautiful illustration God created it to be?

Today on my husband's birthday, I've printed out the "30 Day Husband Appreciation Challenge" and am asking God to use it in the month to come. I trust He will bless my husband, strengthen our marriage and change my heart. If you'd like to do the same, you can find it HERE. We don't have to wait for our marriage to be in trouble in order to make it better!!

1 comment:

Amber Paulsen said...

What a BEAUTIFUL post in honor of your husband, sweet Jill. I do need to appreciate my husband more as well. It encouraged me and challenged me to read your article. May the Lord bless you in your challenge and strengthen your marriage.

I need to quit being impatient with my husband. We work on ministry together often (our homeless ministry) and I'm often rushed to get things done, so I do and say things that are so ungodly. I apologize often, but I'm not sure if I've deeply repented.

I need to keep on praying for him. I pray the prayers out of Stormie Omartian's book "The power of a praying wife" on a daily basis in my morning prayer time. :)