Monday, December 2, 2013

T + T Does NOT = T

Basic algebra explains the simplicity of the statement in this post's title, but yesterday God used it to remind me of an important Truth. Let me explain...

Have you ever found yourself anxious? Do you know God promises to give us peace, but you struggle to experience it? Me too. Actually lately I felt this way.

I had sought God's direction and then did what He was leading me to do. In a recent discussion with some friends, one of them said, "Obedience brings peace." We all agreed with those words, but the last few days I didn't feel like I was experiencing them.

This began a journey to attempt and understand peace, God's peace, more. Many verses were brought to my attention...

"I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have many troubles. But take heart I have overcome the world." John 16:33

"Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace at all times and in every situation." 2 Thess. 3:16

"Peace I leave with you; My own peace I now give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, do not be afraid." John 14:27

There were many scriptures to read, but two in particular caught my attention as I asked God, "How? How do I experience your peace?" I understood He is willing and able to give it, but I wondered what do I need to do to receive it. He provided an answer with these two verses -

"May the God of all hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

"You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in You, all whose thoughts are fixed on You!!" Isaiah 26:3

Did you catch the common, key word? As I studied and prayed through these verses the other morning, the word TRUST jumped out at me and then the day began.

As the afternoon unfolded I found myself thinking about the situation that had left me anxious and lacking peace. I was trying to make a plan of what I should do and say while I thought about how the other person would react. This went on for awhile and then God spoke to my heart and He used an algebraic equation to get my attention.

He whispered, "Jill thinking too much and trying too hard does not equal trusting." Friend, God gave us our mind and He wants and expects us to use it. He's given us abilities and gifts that can be used for His glory, but when I, and perhaps even you, focus on what we need to do, and even can do, we get it all wrong.

Trusting is not about getting it all right and understanding how things will turn out. Proverbs 3 tells us it's about trusting Him with all of our heart rather than leaning on our own understanding. Sounds easy, but honestly for me it can be hard.

But friend if you are longing for peace, I believe this is a piece of the puzzle...actually God's Word tells us it is! We must trust Him if we want to receive the peace He provides. In God's math T = P!!


Though the mountains be shaken

    and the hills be removed,
yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken
    nor my covenant of peace be removed,”
    says the Lord, who has compassion on you.
Isaiah 54:10

No comments: