Wednesday, March 6, 2013

It'd be easier...Part Two

Awhile back I wrote a post titled, "It'd be easier..." (Click HERE to read it.) Today my mind has been thinking about this once again...you know thoughts like, "Marriage would be so much easier if..., Parenting would be so much easier if..., Teaching, Writing, Following Christ..."

Much of life could be easier if this would happen or they would do this, but it doesn't and they don't. As I thought about this a quote from my basketball days came back to mind - "Basketball - it's supposed to be hard; if it was easy everyone would play."

Those words were true about the sport I loved and I believe they can be altered to apply to God's plan for our life - "Life will be hard; if it was easy, you wouldn't need Me." In His Word, God tells us, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

It's a given - this life involves work and I'm sure you know as well as I do, work isn't easy. So rather than constantly contemplating how things would be easier if the circumstances would change, God has challenged me to add two words to the title of this post - It would be easier IF I...

He hasn't just added those words, He's given me ways to complete the statement. I'll share a few -

Marriage would be easier if I put my husband's needs above my own.

Parenting would be easier if I was more proactive than reactive.

Writing would be easier if I was more disciplined and used my time wisely.

You get the idea and I'd like to challenge you to take your "It'd be easier" statements and try this yourself.

As I've thought about this, a passage I read a few days back has come to mind. I read the story of the widow's offering in Luke 21...a story I've read and studied numerous times, but one God has used in a fresh way. It seems I've always focused on her giving monetarily, but I've been reminded this concept applies to all the giving we do - giving with our money, our time, our talents, our attention.

Friend, I've been convicted - things (life, roles, relationships) would be easier if I'd follow this widow's example and give all I have. I can hear someone saying, (maybe it's me), "But that's hard, do you know how much I already give?" 

I can't answer that question for you, but I can for myself - with 5 kids, homeschooling and life on a farm I am needed for much and most days I give quite a bit, but do I give all I have? Honestly, the answer is no. Because even on the days when I think I give all I have...it's just that - all I have. All too often I parent, teach, write, be a wife and follow Christ out of my own strength, but friend God wants us to rely on Him and His perfect power.

When you and I tap into His unending resources of strength, love, patience and power life may not be easier, but it will be better!!


As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury.   
He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins.  
 “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others.  
All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; 
but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”
                                                              Luke 21:1-4

No comments: