Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"Who am I?" - A Lady who is Loved


This is not the post I intended to write this week, but yet it's the one God has on my heart. Love is a topic that has been front and center the last 10 days - two Sundays ago our pastor preached on Colossians 3:14, "And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity," a friend made the following statement, "I pray you will one day realize the depth of our love for one another," on Memorial Day our 6 year old commented that she loved her "sister who was miscarried," I heard of a husband who just doesn't love his wife the same anymore, and our 4 year old puts her hand on my tummy, feels the baby move and loves the little one. And not to be left out, daily my husband tells me he loves me, and shows it too!!

How about you, what role has love played in your life this last week?? Perhaps it wasn't the topic that was talked about in your home, but even without words I'd have to guess it played a part. And actually if you are a follower of Christ, I know it was present, but today I want to ask you a question (or maybe two), ones that have been on my heart this last week.

First of all, "What is love?"

An on-line dictionary defines it as "A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness."

But the Bible which says God is love (1 John 4:16) says this, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

Love really is a big deal, but too often we focus on the worldly definition rather than God's. Love is more than a feeling, something that is subject to change. It's more than chocolate and flowers on Valentine's Day or even a ring and kiss on our wedding day. No, the English teacher in me is quick to realize according to God's word, love is a verb. If you're like my former middle schoolers and need a reminder - that's an action word! Love is something we do!!

As I walk down the road of life and press on in this quest to find God's answer to my question, I'm beginning to realize there are two sides to this action - it involves giving and receiving. Like the old saying, sometimes it is easier to give than receive. But it is hard to give something you don't have, so friend today as a child of God will you receive the love He has for you?

Will you take some time to pray, and when it's just you and God I challenge you to ask the question, "Who am I?" Then quiet yourself to hear His response. When He whispers, the words you dreamt about as a little girl, the ones you longed to hear as a teen, I encourage you to believe HIM. Friend, it's true, as a daughter of the King, YOU are a lady who is a loved!!

No comments: