Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Who am I?" - Sometimes I forget...


Nearly two months ago, God put it on my heart to write this weekly series and I believe I know why - so I would remember who I am!! I'm not sure about you, but sometimes I have a tendency to forget.

Forgetting whose I am and not remembering where my identity truly is found is not a good thing, but it happens. Sometimes life's overwhelming circumstances press in on me and I forget the truths of God. Others the voices of those around me and the lies of satan scream louder than the whispers of my Heavenly Father.

In those moments I'm vulnerable to answer our "Who am I?" question in the wrong way. And when I allow anyone or anything (and even myself) but God to define who I am, I am setting myself up for trouble.

What kind of trouble you ask? Let me share two stories from my recent experience - a few months ago, I stepped down from a women's ministry leadership team and in a way that messed with how I saw myself. First of all, it's a step God obviously led me to, but one satan used to twist my thinking.

Eventually I realized one of the reasons God led me to this decision, we are expecting our 5th child in July. Truly we are blessed, but as I focused on what He was taking away, I began to answer this question of identity myself, rather than allow God to do it for me.

My mind shifted from believing who I am is all about what God says and started to focus on finding my identity in what I did. Simply said, I was forgetting who I am and as I focused on the wrong things I wasn't being who He created me to be.

This past weekend God showed me this forgetting thing isn't a one time occurrence, no I'm sorry to say it happened again. I have yet to see this little one's face, but God is already teaching me through my baby.

Honestly I was a bit nervous about sharing our news. I could remember some of the reactions we received with number four, so I assumed that would only intensify with number five. What it boils down to is I was worried about what others thought, which clearly is a result of forgetting who I am.

When I (and you) live as daughters of Christ, it's only His approval we need and His opinion that matters. But when we forget and define ourselves in the wrong way, we basically forget who we are.

In these moments, bad things can happen. We live to please the wrong audience, which may cause us to do things we regret and live in a way that dishonors God. We open the door for doubt and worry, which keeps us from living the life God has for us and bringing Him the glory He deserves.

Since I'm human, I don't believe I'll ever overcome forgetfulness, but I believe there are steps I can and must take. Paul sums it up when he says, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

If I want to live out God's answer to the question, I must first know what it is, which will only happen when I know who He is and dig into what He says. Friend will you join me as we move past the days of conforming to the world and being defined by it's ever changing standards and instead allow God to transform us and be who He says we are??

As we walk this road together, I'd love to hear about your moments of forgetfulness and how God has helped you remember who you are!!

1 comment:

Lisa Smith said...

I love how Romans 12:1-2 is such a great remedy for who I am... it seems God has it everywhere for me lately.

The Message puts it like this:
So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.

And, this week I realized who I am is forgiven, to receive it and leave it at that!!

Great series! Thank you for sharing. :D