Friday, January 14, 2011

"Who am I?"

“Who am I?” Have you ever asked yourself this question? If you’re like me, your answer would be, “yes, more than once!” So let me continue, “Where do you find your answer?” Have you looked to others or media to define who you are? Or have you found your identity in what you do or have done? The success you’ve achieved or mistakes you’ve made. Or do you find your answer in your looks, your last name or the church you belong to?

This question, “Who am I?” is not a bad one to ask; all too often the problem lies in where we try to find the answer. I truly believe we can only solve this dilemma by seeking God’s answer to the age-old question! Trust me it’s taken me years to realize this, but in the days ahead I’d love to explore the topic more. I’ll share some of my thoughts and would love to hear yours!

So let the conversation begin…

Where have you found your answer to the question, “Who am I?”

Like I said, I’ve asked the question numerous times and have attempted to find the answer in various places. In high school I found my value in playing basketball, so when I answered “athlete” I felt good about who I was. But those feelings could change quickly when I compared myself to others and my "tomboy" looks never measured up, in those moments who I was, was never good enough. Then there are the times I’ve defined myself by the things I’ve done - the mistakes made and times I’ve fallen short and the answer I give is “failure.”

Perhaps as you reflect on your life you can see a similar pattern - when we base our identity on roles, situations or comparisons it is constantly changing and when God created us that was not His intention. He knows who I am, who you are friend and He wants us to know that as well! Join me again as together we look to discover the only answer that matters, HIS!!

5 comments:

stephanie said...

I have tried to find my identity in so many things. The problem is that when one of them doesn't work out like I want it to, I have been shattered. Over the past year, I have learned to simply identify myself as Stephanie. Anyone persons expectations that I try to meet, I am doomed to fail. But God loves me anyways, He loves me for me. Just for being me, in all my messiness.

Stacy said...

Wonderfull words and a precious reminder. Thank you for sharing!

Laurie Wallin said...

This is such a great reminder. It's easy to base our ideas of ourselves on things outside us (probably in part because, as the Bible says, we don't even fully know our own hearts!) You and I were thinking along the same lines this week... great to meet a kindred spirit! And thanks for posting your site on Moms Together.

Kimberly said...

:) This has been, okay, somedays still is, a battle for me. Learning how to define myself, trying to define myself. And you are right, defining ourselves outside of HIM is ever-changing, unstable, and even dangerous ground.

Looking forward to what you have to share, sweet friend.
Ever learning to find my worth in Him,
K :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for this! As we search God we find who we are.