Tuesday, October 5, 2010

When the sun shines...

The other day I was driving down the road and the sun was shining! Outside it was a cool, October day in Iowa, but on the other side of the window I felt the sun’s power! As the temperature inside the vehicle rose my mind went to work and I took some time to really think about the big ball of fire in the sky.

Let me share some of those thoughts -
When the sun shines it’s presence is known!
It has the power to produce heat and light.
It can bring joy - picture my kids swimming on a hot summer day.
It brings peace - my husband combining on a nice, dry fall day.
The sun sustains life - the crops my husband is harvesting are evidence of that.

It was only natural for these thoughts to lead to some more; as I marveled at the beauty of God’s creation I was reminded of another Son that shines! And it’s amazing when you think about the similarities between the two -
When Jesus shines, His presence is known!
He warms our heart and lights our way!
He brings joy!
He brings peace!
He not only sustains life, He created it and is the Bread of life!!

God didn’t allow my thoughts to stop at this, no He took things a step further…you see I’m part of a team that is organizing the Rise and Shine Women’s Retreat that will be held in less than 4 weeks. So the idea of “rising and shining” has been on my heart for quite some time!

My prayer for this retreat is that women will not only walk away encouraged, refreshed and renewed, but they will be given a spiritual wake-up call! One that inspires them to rise and shine daily!! Because when the Son shines through us, His presence is known and His power can be felt; hearts are touched and what was dark becomes light. By rising and shining a difference can be made; His joy can carry someone through the pain and His peace can calm another during the storm. Ultimately by rising and shining, He may use the light in us to not just sustain life, but to save it eternally!

To think all these thoughts were the result of the sun shining! Think about what could happen if someone sees THE SON shining through you today!!

1 comment:

Rachel Beran said...

Yes, yes, yes, Jill! So good!! It's great seeing the Son shining through your life. :)

BIG HUGS!