Monday, August 23, 2010

It's more than...

The other day we were doing morning devotions and my husband read from Luke 12:24-27, "He (Jesus) said to them, 'Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.'

"But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'

Then you will say, 'We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.'

"But he will reply, 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!"

As he read, I really thought about these words and simply said, "That could happen to a lot of people." I know I use to be one of them - I went to church, did more good than bad and believed Jesus died on the cross. But I didn't KNOW HIM.

But now I do and I'm so thankful! My heart rejoices at where He's brought me and I look forward to where He's taking me. I'm thankful I have the privilege to know Him more daily and the responsibility to make Him known is a wonderful opportunity.

How about you? Do you know Him? Is your faith more than a religion? Jesus, the savior of the world, wants to know you!! Friend if you have questions about this please let me know. Email me at jillberan@yahoo.com

And if you do know Him, how are you making Him known? Share your story with someone today!

As I've thought about this I've been reminded of a poem I wrote years ago and as I've read the words God's shown me though they are true, the amazing thing about this walk with HIM is it's always more than I ever think it could be!

"It's More Than"
It’s more than going to church,
It’s needing to.
It’s more than spending Sunday morning with God,
It’s knowing you’ll be with Him forever.
It’s more than believing there is a God,
It’s knowing Him.
It’s more than reading the Bible,
It’s believing what it says.
It’s more than praying in times of need,
It’s praying always.
It’s more than singing “Jesus loves me”
It’s knowing he always will.
It’s more than loving your neighbor,
It’s loving your enemy, too.
It’s more than following the rules,
It’s obeying God’s will.
It’s more than being a good person,
It’s knowing God forgives you when you’re not.
It’s more than faith in Christ,
It’s a relationship with Him.
It’s more than being thankful,
It’s constantly giving thanks.
It’s more than asking “Why?”
It’s knowing God has a reason.
It’s more than serving others,
It’s expecting nothing in return.
It’s more than thanking God for blessings,
It’s praising Him through the storm.
It’s more than being baptized,
It’s accepting Christ as your Savior.
It’s more than knowing Jesus died on the cross,
It’s knowing your sins put him there.
It’s more than saying, “I’m a Christian.”
It’s living a life that proves it.
It’s more than a religion,
It’s a way of life.

No comments: