Monday, September 22, 2008

What a night...

Last night we had our Celebration of Life and Sisterhood and what a night it was. God put this idea on my mind 2 weeks ago and in the days that passed at times I thought it sounded wonderful and during others I wasn't so sure. But He revealed it to me, and I'm thankful I followed thru.

We started the evening with introductions. I was able to go around the table and individually e each one of my friends and share specifically what they had done for me. It was a great opportunity to share my appreciation and a wonderful reminder that little things make a big difference.

Then after opening with prayer we focused on the celebration of life as we shared the following verses Ps 127:3 – Children are a gift of the LORD. Psalms 139:13 – For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. Listened to Watermarks "Glory Baby" song and had a time to share. The conversation was filled with compassion, stories of sorrow and a few tears, but through it all God was glorified. And we were reminded of His endless grace and perfect plan.

As we transitioned from the celebration of life to that of sisterhood, we listened to one of my all-time favorite songs - "Blessed Be Your Name." The give and take away lines had taken on new meaning once again over the last few weeks, but God presented another idea last night as I sat there. How even when He takes away, He gives - it's not necessarily an even trade, but He is a giving God. And I realized how in the midst of my loss and pain, He still provided - strength, encouragement and wonderful friends. So still I will say...

We moved onto the celebration of sisterhood with 2 verses Prov 17:17- A friend loves at all times. Ecclesiastes 4:9,10 - Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work, If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! And then listened to Point of Grace's song "Circle of Friends." It was an honor to sit there in my circle and thank God for each one of these very special "sisters" He has placed in my life. We once again were able to follow up with wonderful conversation, which lifted me and I assume others and I pray honored God.

I closed the night by lighting a candle and giving one to each of my friends. I felt there purpose was three-fold - 1) a gift for my appreciation for all they have meant to me, 2) a reminder of my child, who I will never forget and I pray they don't either and 3) a visual that reminds us to let our light shine.

I'm grateful for my circle of friends and how their light has brightened my life. I wasn't sure how this night would go, but I knew God had impressed it on my heart. Yesterday morning in Sunday School we talked about how when we obey, God will bless and that was the case last night as we celebrated life and sisterhood. Two wonderful gifts our Father has given us.

1 comment:

Lelia Chealey said...

I think this is a night not only that God won't soon forget, but your friends and of course you. This is so awesome. How blessed you all must have felt.
You seem like the neatest woman Jill.