Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Dilly Dally

My 5 year old son runs on his own time. Sometimes it's 90 mph full speed ahead, but when I'm in a hurry and the clock is ticking it seems dilly dally mode kicks in. I'm not even sure if that is a word, but it's a concept that is too visible around here at times.

J.D. can be so consumed with what he's doing that he's oblivious to what I'm saying. Other times his urgency just doesn't match mine. Yet others, there are moments where he simply doesn't want to do the job at hand, so slow motion sets in.

The other day during a bit of frustration caused by of one of these dilly dally moments God used my son to get my attention. You know one of those times when you ask yourself, "Why is he like this?" Only to realize you do the very same thing.

Now I don't drag my feet when there's chores to do, well not always, but God did have my attention because the very actions that were upsetting me as the mother of my child had to be frustrating God as my Father as well.

As He calls me out of my comfort zone to share my faith and walk in obedience, I dilly dally. I drag my feet, think of excuses, worry about what others would think, and on and on...

Later that same day, God again used a frustrating dilly dally moment. J.D.'s actions, or lack there of, caused him to miss out on a trip to town with his dad which in turn led to one sad little boy. As I tried to capitalize on this teaching moment, God did the same.

He echoed the very same words I told my son, "when we don't listen and move our feet sometimes we miss out." It's yet to be determined what effect this has on J.D., but God made His point with me.

Just like Job, J.D.'s dad, didn't wait forever for him, God will do the same with me. He's given me a task to do and though it's scary at times I need to listen and obey. So as I encourage my son to leave the days of dilly dally behind, I'll be attempting to do the same myself.

No comments: