Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Now that I know...

Moments after I made a turn at an intersection, my daughter said, "Mom, there's a cop behind you." I looked in my rear view mirror to see his lights were on. Instantly, anxiety filled my body and my daughters and their friend went silent. I pulled over wondering why and tried to figure out what I had done wrong. The officer approached and I was nervous. He asked for documentation before stating the problem.

I'd been stopped twice in my life...once in high school and 16 years ago days before our wedding. I fumbled through the papers trying to find the right documentation and with each passing second, the anxiety climbed. The officer could tell and assured me all was fine. Eventually, I discovered we didn't have the current registration sticker on our license plate. He assured me it was OK and would be a simple fix. I drove on, eventually calmed down and we made our way to the softball game. Now that I knew what to do, I could fix the problem and avoid another stop by the police.

This story came to mind last night as I shared a new situation with my husband. I am currently coaching junior high girls basketball and yesterday instead of just leading practice I participated. Twenty-one years have passed since I was officially a member of a team and though the drills are still fun, my body is NOT the same. Clearly, I am out of shape. This job is about more than me teaching the girls, I'm also learning a bit myself.

I've had a general understanding of my lack of physical conditioning, but my 2 hours in the gym brought it to my attention. Now that I know, there's something I need to do.

Friend, perhaps you are in the best shape of your life and maybe you don't have any missing license plate stickers, but please don't stop thinking about this. This idea of knowing and doing is a powerful one. When we know something, we must respond. I knew my sticker was missing, so I had to get another one. I know I'm out of shape, so I must prioritize exercise. What do you know? How will you respond?

James 4:17 says, "So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin." There is a spiritual dimension to this as well. Let's look beyond our vehicles and even our bodies and take a glimpse at our heart and mind. Are you doing, saying or thinking things you know you shouldn't? Are you avoiding things you know you need to do or say?

Friend, this is about more than a traffic ticket or aching muscles...it's about our relationship with the almighty God, our heavenly Father. Open your Bible and the living, active Word of God will speak to your heart. There will be things you know. The question is because of this, what will you do?

A few scriptures come to mind...

"The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:19-21)

"Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry." (Colossians 3:5)

"For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light  (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord.  Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them." (Ephesians 5:8-11)

There are some big, heavy words, but they contain important truth. It might be tempting to think about them in the worst context and dismiss yourself, but allow God to examine your heart. Sin is sin even if it doesn't become headline news. Think about the things you do and say. How you treat others and use your time. What about the TV shows you watch and conversations you participate in. We must be honest and admit we all have our struggles and if we have the desire to live right before God, He will point them out. It might be a little frightening like my experience with the cop, but He is just doing His job and wants what is best for you and me, His children.

So now that you know, what will you do? If God's put something on your heart, I'd love to hear and will commit to lifting you up. Knowing is the easy step, but it's an important one! Start there and then do what you need to do!

Dear Heavenly Father, open the eyes of my heart and show me what I need to know. Tender my heart so I respond righty. Remind me your conviction is a gift, help me humble myself and do what I need to do. I love you and long to obey, help me do what I need to do. Thank you for your Word, may it sanctify me. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: