Thursday, November 20, 2014

We Need Words

Words have always had an impact on me...growing up encouraging ones could really motivate me and angry ones would leave me crushed. Since junior high, I've enjoyed putting my thoughts on paper...using words to fill my journals. Prior to getting married, Job and I went through the "Five Love Languages" and I was not surprised to find out words of affirmation is my primary language. And just this week I was reminded why we need words.

Wednesday afternoon I posted a picture to Facebook of a moment that had touched my heart. My daughter, Joy, (10 next month) had her nose in a book that has blessed me and led me deeper into God's Word. She's had this book for 9 months, but just really started reading it. I've been praying about my kids making their faith their own and when I saw her jotting down answers to the questions, God reminded me He hears and answers.

This was a wonderful moment for me as a Mom and from her comment I knew Wendy Blight, the author of Living So That, appreciated it as well. Later on that day, I sent her a message sharing more about the story behind the picture and then moved on with life.

As the evening unfolded, my oldest and I had a few not so fun moments. He disobeyed and I was frustrated. He acted and I reacted. He spoke up and I grew angry. We talked about the struggle, but didn't solve the problem. Bedtime came, we prayed and I said, "Good-night. I love you." He was silent. I reached the door, looked back and said, "I really do." He gave me a look I don't like to see and one honestly I rarely do; one that seemed to say, "Whatever."

I went down the stairs as tears fell from my eyes. I felt terrible. I was sure I was failing as a Mom and feared what lies ahead. All I wanted to do was crawl in bed. As I moved towards my goal, I stopped to shut down my computer and noticed I had a message back from Wendy. Her words went straight to my heart and brought Proverbs 16:24 to life.

I was reminded that I have done something right. The picture she saw did say something about me as a Mom...my daughter, well all my kids are being exposed to and taught the Word. They know God created them, loves them and has a plan for them. They understand they are sinners and Jesus died for them. I am trying to do what I believe is right...Satan wants me to think I'm a failure, but through encouraging, life-building words from a friend God reminded me that though I make mistakes they don't define who I am.

After a couple of short sentences helped me regain perspective, God continued to speak. Satan had been condemning me, but now God was convicting me. He assured me the beautiful pic I posted on Facebook really did say something about me as a Mom, but also gently and lovingly showed me the picture etched in my mind as I said, "Good night" to my boy said something as well.

It said I'm not there yet...like my boy I have room for growth and improvement. I'm not perfect and my Father does not expect me to be...I should be a parent with the same philosophy. I may have the gift of encouragement, but my words can also be critical...especially of the ones I love. Friend, these are not easy things to share and they are even harder to deal with, but yet I know this is good.

How can I say that? Let's go back to the picture at the top of this post...my daughter is not the only one reading Living So That, I'm studying through it as well and this week my memory verse is - James 1:2-3, "Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of faith brings perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

Friend, last night was a trial for me as a Mom...it wasn't the first and I know it won't be the last. God is working in me and my son and I trust He will be faithful to complete it. (Phil. 1:6) I am able to press through this knowing He has a purpose, is doing a work and providing me with words.

I'm grateful for the words from people around me that prove these verses are true -

"The tongue has the power of life and death..." Proverbs 18:21
"Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in right circumstances." Proverbs 25:11
"Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24

I'm blessed and in constant need of the words found in the WORD because...

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughy equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

And now rather than listening to Satan's words that leave me feeling low, I'm lifting words from God up to Him in prayer and He is renewing my mind, changing my heart and working in me.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Lord I pray the words of my mouth and meditation of my heart would be pleasing to You. Please empower me to not let any unwholesome word come from my mouth, instead I long to speak ones that will glorify You and build others up, especially Job and the kids. Finally Father, I pray for you to give me a longing for your Word like the deer pants for the water...help me thirst for the Living Water knowing You will fill me up. Thank you Lord for the way You work, continue to speak to me through Your people and especially Your Word...open my ears to listen, tender my heart to receive and prepare my feet, heart and mouth to obey. In Jesus' Name, Amen

Do you understand your need for words? Especially your dependence on the Word? I pray you do and I'm asking God to bless you with a word from Him today!! Thank you friend for joining me and allowing me to share a few words with you!

1 comment:

Wendy Blight said...

How very thankful I am the Lord moved me to share what was on my heart!! He is so good that way, isn't He!! What a beautiful and encouraging post for all of us moms.

Blessings,

Wendy