Monday, November 3, 2014

Thoughts from the Day

Welcome to those of you joining me from the Encouragement Cafe! It's a pleasure to be sharing a devotional there today! If you'd like to read, "How Low Can You Go?" click HERE.

Friends, I typically like to have a blog post to accompany my devotions, but today I'm at a loss of words. I'm writing this on Sunday night after a visit with Janet, a humble, Godly woman from our church. She is sick - tomorrow marks 4 weeks in the hospital and they are now talking about Hospice care.

It was good to see her and even better to visit with her. Her memory is good and faith is strong, but her body is failing. She says everyday I wake up and ask, "Lord, why am I still here?" She knows there is a reason, but struggles with the want to understand. She is ready to meet her Savior and is doing all she can to share Him with others.

Many thoughts went through my mind as we made the hour drive home. My heart breaks for her husband, Arnie, who held her hand as we conversed...hanging on to moments that are fading away all too fast. There were also thoughts about family and friends who are not ready to die, but like Janet are now one day closer to that day than they were before; thoughts about myself and the things that are most important in life. Finally, thoughts about Jesus the One who's humility brought us the reason for hope.

And friend, I'll admit as I type the tears are falling. Death is hard, but friend it's real. It happens all the time...sometimes it shocks us and others life let's us prepare, but regardless of the timing it is difficult. But remembering this reality can be helpful, it can help us focus and keep things in perspective.

Today Janet can't walk across the room, but I know she'd beat me in the "Humility Limbo"! Her life is coming to an end, but her focus is on Christ and others. She's still praying for others, reaching out so things aren't left unsaid and assuring others of her love for them. She's trusting in God, relying on Christ and sharing her faith. She's let go of her plans and embraced His.

Friend, I feel my thoughts are scattered, but my prayer is that you'd spend some time today thinking about humility and ask God how you can live that out. As we lower ourselves, we lift Christ up and friend that is what we are created to do and in the end it's all that will matter. Also, if you'd pray for Arnie and Janet, along with their family and friends, I know they'd be grateful.

I'll save the best words for last...ones that come from God instead of me, ones that remind me of Janet and encourage me - "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the self, the unfading of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-4

1 comment:

Rachel Beran said...

Boy, that scripture defines Janet, doesn't it! Janet has, and continues to, set a beautiful example for us. She's dying just as she lived, all to the glory of Jesus. I pray we can stay as centrally focused.

Reminds me of that poem:
"Only One Life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.
And when I am dying, how happy I'll be,
If the lamp of my life was burned out for Thee"

Yep, I'm crying now too. <3

Good devo today too, Jill. Keep writing and pressing forward in obedience. ((HUG))