Thursday, August 22, 2013

Don't wait until it's too late...

This morning I woke up with much on my mind. Many of my thoughts were centered on death. Yesterday a neighbor from my childhood, a friend to my mom and mother to my friends passed away. Annie was a sweet, gentle woman who always had a smile to share and time to listen. She will be missed. As is my grandma, who also lost a battle to cancer this summer.

Thoughts of death brought back a question my daughter, Joy, asked a couple of years back at the insightful age of 6. An elderly man from our church, one she really didn't know, passed away and as we drove to his visitation she asked, "Why do we go see people when they die?"

I explained the basics and told her how it was an opportunity to express sympathy to the family and share our love and support. She accepted my response, but God continued to use her question and now nearly 2 years later He's brought it up again.

Death is one of the guarauntees in life, but yet it's something we don't like to acknowledge. Sharing my feelings and expressing my appreciation of others is something I tend to avoid. Taking the time to visit is hard...life is busy and it's easy to think I'll do that later.

But yet when someone passes away, what do I do? I stop...I find the time to pay my respect, I have the courage to talk about the impact the one I've lost made on my life and I can't deny the fact that death is real.

Today God is challenging me to remember this and do something with it. What is He saying to you? Is there someone in your life you need to make time for? Are there words you need to share? Feelings you need to express?

Friends, when they are gone, it's too late. Speak up now and share what's on your heart. Talk about the stuff that matters. Have the hard conversation. Offer forgiveness. Share your faith. One day when they're gone, you'll be glad you did...and so will they.

I share all this because it's what God's whispered to me...words HE knew I needed to hear, and ones I feel He wanted me to pass on. Let's make an attempt to bless someone today! Friend, today who can you go see, call or write because they are alive and loved by you?  Find the time, because someday life may force you to take the time.

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, 
that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." 
Matthew 5:16

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Such a needed reminder, Jill. It is so easy to get caught up in the day to day and to keep thinking, "Oh, I will try to get together with them next week." Or to even let how awkward you may feel trying to tell someone how you feel keep you from saying anything. Thanks for sharing God's nudge to you and letting it nudge us, too. :)

Jill Beran said...

Yes, Kimberly, I'm first in line when it comes to the fear of looking awkward or being a mess keeping me from sharing from my heart! So you know I'm thankful for you and all God does and says through you! Greatly appreciated you taking some time the other day for a visit via the phone!! Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

Such a timely and important topic. We need to share our time and our hearts while we are living life together. As a stage IV cancer patient, I speak from the heart about how very relevant this post is to our busy lives today. Funerals are for those left behind as they grieve their loss every bit as much as to honor the deceased. To God be the glory as we share His love.