Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"Be who you are!!"


Over the past couple of months I've been writing a series titled, "Who am I?" During that time I've been doing a lot of thinking and digging into God's Word. I've also been able to read a wonderful new book by Renee Swope, "A Confident Heart," which God has used to challenge and change me.

But this past week in church I was reminded that I have a ways to go - knowing who I am is not enough, I must be this person...at...all...times. Our pastor gave a sermon titled, "Be who you are." His message focused on Colossians 3:12 "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." The message He brought was powerful and convicting, but God has used those four little words to remind me of even more these last few days.

It's one thing to know who I am, which I believe really is a never ending journey as I daily walk in faith, but I'm beginning to realize the more I learn about God and the closer I get to Christ the more I know about myself. And the thing is God doesn't just want me to know these facts and truths, He wants me to believe them, He desires for me to live them.

Let me explain...just last week I posted, "A Confident Heart - The Before and After Look" - words that shared the impact Renee's book had on me and my heart. The words I shared are true, God is changing me and answering my question - He is telling me who I am!! I am His child! A daughter who is holy, chosen and loved!! A daughter He forgives and has made new!

Since that is who I am, that is who I need to be, but late last week that wasn't happening - I found myself listening to lies, I willfully played the comparison game (and lost), I worried, I found myself overwhelmed and trying to take things into my own hands.

Looking back I realize instead of being who I am, I was living as who I used to be - the quiet kid with a fear of opening up, the good girl who put on a smile to hide the pain and the lonely child who isolated myself. I was the approval addict playing the comparison game and the consecutive losing streak assured me I was the weakest link. And after this cycle of events, I found myself back at the before picture - I was Ms. Doubtful.

THANKFULLY GOD works in wonderful ways, first of all though the lies were screaming (even louder than my 4 children!!) He kept whispering to my heart. His truth reminded me of His promises. Then He blessed me with a song, I know I've heard numerous times, but one that He personally spoke through on our way to church, "Beautiful" by Mercy Me. This line specifically hit hard, "For all the lies you've held inside so long, But they are nothing in the shadow of the cross." Yes, I knew I was listening to lies - the "you're not good enough, you're a failure, someone else could do it better...", but knowing they were lies wasn't enough, I had to let them go and drown them with Truth. As the song continued God reminded me of some of those powerful truths, "You are made for so much more than all of this, You're beautiful! You are treasured, You are sacred, You are His."

All these truths are good things, God honestly feels this way about me, and friend about you too, but if we stop at simply knowing them it really doesn't do much good. For us or God. We need to believe them, and then like my pastor said, we must be who we are - God's chosen people, ones who are holy and loved!!

Believe me I know it can be easier to live how we've always lived; it's work to replace lies with Truth, but God didn't call us to be His child to walk an easy road and on this journey He promises to always be near. So today I challenge you to make the choice to embrace who God says you are and then live like you believe it is true!! Friend don't allow yourself to be comfortable with who you've always been, we were made for more!! And like me, don't fear change more than you fear God - I know it's hard, but He is worth it!!

Today may we not only remember 2 Corinthians 5:17, but more importantly live it out!! "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!"

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh, friend. I am so in the same place. I cannot just read and like Renee's book. I cannot just read and smile about what God says about me in His Word. I have to LIVE it. I need to be who I am! I like that. :)

One thing I really appreciated in Renee's book was the reminder that this is a day by day and DOUBT by DOUBT process. You are so right...it takes WORK to replace lies with the truth. And it is work I need to do every day, with every doubt. Doubts are going to continue to come. But you and I...we are going to start turning sooner. :)

Love to you, beautiful friend,
K

Lelia Chealey said...

That's the hard part...living it out! I feel like I fail in the biggest ways right here in my own home. Great post my friend.
love,
L