Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wrestling

As a former basketball fanatic it's kind of crazy to say wrestling has been the sport of choice recently in our house! J.D., our second grader, is taking part in the practices for elementary students at our local high school. Granted he's way more aggressive when he's trying out his moves on his dad, little sisters and even myself, but he's been enjoying his time on the mat.

But the sport hasn't just entered our life because of practice one night a week, you see I've become a daily participant in the sport I never really understood! Now before you think I've lost my mind, physically I am NOT taking part, but mentally on the other hand it seems there's been a constant match going on in my head!

Have you ever been there? Please tell me your answer is yes!! Honestly, I believe that will be the case because though there are times when God's voice is loud and clear, there are situations and instances when it's a whisper and times it truly is hard to understand. I'm one who wants to do what Chris Tomlin sings about in his song, "I Will Follow." The cry of my heart is "Where you go, I'll go; Where you stay, I'll stay; When you move, I'll move; I will follow..."

Sometimes this following business is hard, especially when it seems I'm at a crossroads. How about you? What do you do when the path splits? The decision can be easy, but all too often it seems both roads lead to a good destination. I find myself wondering, "Do I continue down the path I've been on?" or "Do I walk in a different direction?"

Like I said before these thoughts have led to quite the wrestling match in my mind. And unlike my son, this doesn't cause points to pile up, instead it creates more things to think about and at times can lead to worry, doubt and even frustration. As I write that I think about my son and I know there are times on the wrestling mat when he experiences the exact same thing! And God just reminded me of the words I share with him, "Keep trying. Do what you can do. Listen to your coaches. Work at it and it will come."

So friend as we walk this walk of faith, let's commit to doing the same thing - try, listen and persevere; even during the wrestling matches we must not give up! And we need to realize the lessons He is trying to teach - I watch my son and he is learning so much during his time on the mat and the beautiful thing about it is these lessons involve so much more than the latest moves. Really he is learning about himself and I believe thru this wrestling match in my mind, God's not just helping me discern where He wants me to go, but more importantly He's reminding me of who and Whose I am!

3 comments:

Rachel Beran said...

Just read this today, Jill, and wanted to share it with you (you should read Sep 13th in "Experiencing God Day by Day" for yourself!!) The last line really struck me, "Rather than focusing on what you would like to see happen, realize that God may be more concerned with what He wants to see happen in you." (Henry Blackaby) Yes, I have been there. And each time I have learned something of great value...have been reminded to follow, even when it doesn't make sense. Praying for you to find clarity, friend!

Mining for Diamonds said...

Wow! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I can definitely relate to this post! I think God puts us in these positions to exercise our faith in Him. When I'm not sure which way to go, sometimes the best thing to do is Be Still. That can be so hard, especially when you want to move!!!

Thanks for your encouragement!

Kimberly said...

I definitely understand! :) I am a professional wrestler myself. I mean, not REALLY...but you know what I mean. A professional mental wrestler. :)

I love what these other two sweet ladies have shared. :) All good things to ponder as we learn to trust Him fully and to believe not only does He WANT to speak to us, but that we CAN hear Him. I always doubt my ability to hear Him, second-guessing continually. Did you read Renee's Proverbs 31 devotion today? The one on hearing from God? Good stuff. :)

Praying for peace and wisdom for you, sweet Jill! You are a blessing. :)
K