Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Who am I? - "Not who I was."

Welcome back for the "Who am I?" series, today we're going to take a look at one of the possible answers for those who have accepted Christ as our Savior. Have you ever asked yourself the question and found yourself answering, "I'm not who I was."

I hadn't thought too much about this in a real personal away until nearly a year ago after a conversation with a friend/neighbor. Teresa, our MOPS mentor, was talking about her friendship with me and how it's been neat to see me grow and become a leader myself. Then she went on to share how she knew me when I was a "little Biwer girl."

In the days following this conversation, I really thought about what she had said and realized all too often I still see myself as one of the little Biwer girls. You see growing up I had two younger sisters and the three of us were known as you guessed it, the little Biwer girls, who were sometimes mistaken as triplets (not cool when your 12 and baby sis is 8!). The word little really stuck out - physically I was on the small side, but in my mind little meant more than size. No I related it to ability, appearance and in a way even used that to define my worth. Honestly I was surprised when I thought about this; it was hard for me to believe words from my childhood were still impacting me as I neared my mid-30's.

As I reflected more on these thoughts, I realized there were other labels I'd worn; sometimes they were given by others, but quite often by myself. Thru the years I was quite often the quiet kid - not because there weren't thoughts or ideas I wanted to share; no usually I was quiet because I was intimidated or feared saying the wrong thing or being misunderstood. And during high school, I was a good girl - no drinking, a respectful student, driven athlete - a real people pleaser! Though I was a "good girl" I still often felt like I was never good enough. In those same years I was also a lonely child - I had a family who loved me and supported me, but yet something was missing (thankfully I now know what that was!)

How about you? Take a minute and adjust the question a bit, "Who have you been?" Perhaps you can relate to the labels I've mentioned or maybe yours are entirely different. Really it doesn't matter! As I've thought and prayed more about this whole identity issue God has brought His word to mind "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!" Isaiah 43:18,19a

Friend regardless of what your past holds, brokenness, pain, hurt, loss, mistakes, shame, guilt or regret, trust what God has to say to you, "“Therefore if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation; old things have passed away, and look, new things have come.” 2 Corinthians 5:17

I am no longer a little Biwer girl and you are not who you were! God can and will use who you have been, but He knows who you are and who you are becoming! Join me again next week as we look at who that is!!

Remember I'd love to hear your thoughts, just click on the comment button and share what God puts on your heart!!


4 comments:

Mining for Diamonds said...

Although I use words to define what I do or the roles I operate in, I am very resistant to labels. I hate being put in a box and I have always hated the way "labels" make me feel so...constricted. I want to be freeeeeee!! :) So when it comes to things like political or denominational affiliations especially, I like to keep people guessing! The hard part is when others impose an identity on you based on their perception of what you are or "should" be in their eyes. Only God can answer that question "who am I?" If we ask Him, I am sure He'll show us! He's been showing me a lot more lately of who I am and who He has created me to be. Thanks for such an insightful post!

stephanie said...

There was a point, actually many years, where I was a people pleaser deluxe! But when God finally broke through, I realized it's much more fun just to be the the me God made me, and SOOOOOO much less pressure!

Laurie Wallin said...

LOVE this. I spend so much time with my coaching clients helping them shed their perspective of who they've been and helping them find who God sees in them. Then going back and seeing them as that in the past... it's liberating and really does feel like a new thing! So glad you're doing this series. Keep posting these on Moms Together. I think that's one of the toughest strongholds we face as women, and I'm praying God will use what you're sharing here to touch many with His healing. Blessings!

Kimberly said...

"God can and will use who you have been, but He knows who you are and who you are becoming!"

Love that. And LOVE being a new creation all because of Him. :)

Love to you, sweet friend!