Sunday, March 14, 2010

"Becoming More..."

Recently on her blog, Lysa TerKeurst wrote the following, "If you've read my book, "Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl" tell me how it has impacted you... stepped on your toes... interrupted you... made you laugh... made you cry... made you want to throw the book across the room-whatever. I'm all ears."

I read these words more than a few days ago and since have had the thought lingering in my mind. It was nearly 5 months ago when I picked up the book and started reading and honestly in one way or another each of the chapters spoke to me. To answer her question, I was impacted, stepped on, interrupted, I laughed, I even cried, but the book never did fly across the room!

I've been thinking about how I could summarize what this book has meant to me and for someone who usually enjoys writing and putting my thoughts to words this has been a challenge! I just can't seem to put it all into something neat and tidy, but as I think about it that makes sense.

The subtitle to the accompanying study of Lysa's book says, "Living the Faith after Bible Class is Over" and I don't know about you, but that's not always a neat and tidy process for me! When I think about it being a good Bible study girl is usually much easier than truly "becoming more."

Think about it, we've been reading and answering questions since our days in school, most of us can show up to a Bible study or Sunday School class with our work done, smiles on and right answers, but faith is about more than that! God never intended His word to be something we study in order to show up to class and have more right answers than the gal to our left. No, this is a, THE Book, we must study repeatedly and the test doesn't come when the unit is complete. This is a test that takes place daily, I suppose you could call it life and really it starts when class is over. Becoming more isn't about having the right answers it is about applying them and living them out daily. And finding the courage and strength to get up and try again when we don't.

Lysa's book was not just another collection of words for me to read, "Becoming More" has challenged me to truly live this message. No matter how much I study, I will never know all the answers the Bible holds, but that doesn't mean I should be overwhelmed and quit trying. God will lead me to what I need to know and hear as I dig into His word, seek His wisdom and ask for His guidance.

In one of her other books, Lysa talks about walking in faith and I see a connection - with every step I take on this journey with God I should be becoming more!! Sometimes that means stepping out of my comfort zone and following Him, but it all starts in my heart - one that needs to be connected to Him. Which means I need to hear from Him and He needs to hear from me, basically I must read His Word and He needs to hear my prayers.

I love how Lysa talks about the Bible being God's love letter to us! As someone who's love language is words of affirmation, I had never really thought about this. But this simple truth has changed my thinking, though I understand the importance of studying the Bible, I'm beginning to see the significance of really reading it as a personal note from a Father to His daughter. What a privilege and responsibility it is to hold these Words in my hand!

I pray this journey of becoming more will continue for me and you in the days ahead! If you haven't had the opportunity to read "Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl" I hope you will pick it up soon! You will appreciate Lysa's honesty, relate to some of her stories and be touched by her passion, but most importantly I pray, like me, you will be challenged to live out the message of this book!

No comments: