Tuesday, August 4, 2009

More than words...

This past Sunday evening I returned from the Proverbs 31 She Speaks conference, which was amazing!! My family and I spent the night at my sister-in-laws and when they asked how it was I simply said there were not words to describe all the weekend held, but then went on to talk for over 2 hours. But still it didn't come close to justifying all the conference held. God was obviously present and every person there was sharing His love and encouragement.

Yesterday on her blog, Lysa TerKeurst asked attendees to share about their experience and 2 days later I still feel as there will never be enough words. I was touched in so many ways by so many people. God confirmed things I've been thinking about and working on along with reminding me of what ministry is all about.

So as I've thought about what to say I've decided to share some I put on paper Saturday night. The day had been full of wonderful talks by amazing speakers, I'd survived speaker evaluations, and been touched by seeing the heart of many women called by God.

I'd went to sleep but then awoke in the early hours with much on my mind. As an individual who's always tended to compare myself to others and feel I wasn't as capable or worthy, I had been deeply touched by the lack of this very thing at the conference. It didn't matter who I spoke, they treated me the same.

Lysa had set this tone early on as she spoke about us all being on the same team and as a former athlete I connected with her words. It didn't matter who was the MVP, on the starting 5 or the last off the bench - we are all on the same team and Jesus is the star!!

Like I said the words weren't just said, but lived out by everyone there - well known speakers, attendees, volunteers, everyone! It is often said actions speak louder than words and that is true.

So Saturday night as my mind wouldn't shut off, it seemed God put these words on my heart...

"What is it about?"
It's not about me -
who I am or
what I've done,
who I've been or
the qualifications I have earned.

It's about God -
who He is and
the power He has.
The strength He supplies and
the opportunities He provides.

It's not about me -
how good I sound or
high I climb.
How well I'm known or
successful I become.

It's about God -
how great He is and
the gifts He gives.
It's about His unconditional love and
the power of His name.

What is it about?
Something I don't deserve,
but yet I have received.
It's not about me,
but all about Him.


"An Ordinary Girl"
My house can be a mess and
sometimes the kids are naughty.
My past is far from perfect and
my mind is full of doubt.
Lord, I'm not qualified and
this is nothing I deserve -
I'm just an ordinary girl.

Then I met her -
the one who has it all together
or so I thought,
but she's not perfect either.
She's had her share of falls and
even questioned her own worth -
She's an ordinary girl.

But God, then there's You -
the Maker of the heavens and the earth.
The One who moves mountains
and has counted every star.
You can use us all,
especially when we're just
an ordinary girl!!

I would like to close by saying thanks to the entire P31 staff, my wonderful roomie, Amy, Micca Campbell and my eval team, and all the attendees who touched my life.

5 comments:

Heather - On the Road... said...

I am so glad that you had such a good time there. I did too. I am still struggling with putting things into words too. I am still trying to process all that went on there.

It was soooo wonderful. I am sorry too that we weren't able to connect. I kept looking for you, so did Danielle, but neither of us found you! Oh well, I hope that sometime we will meet!

I hope to write more on my blog soon, I just haven't gotten there yet!

God bless,
Heather

Unknown said...

JIll:

I hate I missed meeting you in real life. Next year?

I feel the same way about the conference. There just are not words enough to say all that happened to me. I've been reading the blogs of many attendess and everyone is saying the same thing. They are speechless, they are overwhelmed by what happened and they are forever changed by what God did this past weekend.

I love your poem! It expresses things so well. I am glad God spoke to your heart along with the other 599 women there. He is so so good. May you continue to make His name known! Blessings!

amykat said...

Jill - your poems gave me chills....especially the one about the ordinary girl. Wow.

I don't even know why....(since I'm actually at WORK right now)...but I'm tearing up just thinking about you.
It sounds quite silly, but I feel that I didn't take advantage of the time I had with you - to get to know you better.
I absolutely know God arranged for us to be roommates for this special weekend, and I pray that somehow He will redeem the time I missed. Is that kind of a crazy thought or what? I guess what it all boils down to, is that I miss you!
You can count on my prayers!
Love,
Amy

Rachel Beran said...

Jill,

Your poem brought tears to my eyes...and you know I'm NOT a crier!!! It's something I needed to read tonight. It's all about Him!

I'm so glad you were able to go to She Speaks this year. I hope I'll be able to go with you next time! :)

Ruth said...

Jill-Your "ordinary girl" poem is what I needed to hear today. Thanks for allowing God to use you.
Hugs-Ruth